Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Advice on what to look for when selecting a German Shepherd

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletdog View Post
    I agree 100% and have had the same experience that you describe with every mini Aussie I've come across.

The first trainer that I apprenticed under had two rotties and we worked with a lot of them. They really run the spectrum. Some of them are gentle and great with people, and others are truly dangerous dogs. When you find a good one, there isn't anything better, but when you see enough of the bad ones, it makes you think twice. They tend to get very dominant as they reach maturity. So dominant that they aren't willing to accept dominance from the people who raised them or anyone else. They need an experienced owner who is willing to demonstrate a heavy hand when needed early on. Akitas are similar in this way. It is for this reason that I don't normally recommend them to people, even though I do love the breed and recognize how fantastic some of them can be. If someone decides on their own to get one, I'm happy to offer help and suggestions to make it go well. Sounds like you've got a good one, but keep an eye out when he reaches 18-24 months and those hormones really get going.
    We’ve had “words” a few times already.

By words I mean physical discipline of the unpleasant variety. He most definitely responds to positive reinforcement for good behavior and consequences for bad behavior. I don’t like putting a boot in his ass, but when he tries to be hard headed it makes it easy to want to show him very heavy attitude adjustments. He’s pretty smart, and usually doesn’t repeat the bad behavior. He’s also into food so it’s easy to figure out a reward.

I’ll reach out if I run into any behavior issues that I can not or my wife can not solve. She’s probably more stern/strict than me. She won’t let him get away with anything.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 10-13-19 at 17:28.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    My rescue GSD is currently napping on the loveseat (yeah, she has her own couch). She had been turned into us on base and the local animal shelter put her on the "no adopt" list since she was, in their opinion "too far gone to save or adopt." I took her right back out and to my vet where they gave her "maybe a week."

Seven years later, she's been the most loyal companion and integrated herself into my life without any hesitation. She was a purebred (though no papers, I got my analysis from a breeder) and on the younger side, already spayed and easily trained. She even learned to co-habitate with the cat I had at the time. A true friend for life.

Regardless, if I was to ever get another GSD, I'd go the rescue route again. Plenty of people that take in GSDs don't realize they have a high upkeep in the beginning and can't deal with them. You could do worse than finding a local GSD rescue in your area and giving one another lease on life. They realize who saved them and are loyal in return.
    Our GSD is also a rescue, we’re her 3rd family and her last. A few months of consistency in her life and she’s a happy well adjusted family member.

Feedback Score
    No intent to derail but thank you Bulletdog cause I will be back in the market again in a year or two.

I’ve had 3 rhodesians that were all exceptional dogs, but they just don’t live long

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Going to try to swing by a local trainer tomorrow. Think they work a lot with Labs, but will find out tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I haven't read through the whole thread, but look into checking out trainers in your area for service dogs, and see if they advertise for finding homes for dogs that fail the training. They can still be great dogs, but may fail for being easily distracted or being too aggressive to cats, etc

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345