Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DD5V3 Review Thread

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)

DD5V3 Review Thread

I purchased a Daniel Defense DD5V3 yesterday. I have not shot it yet, nor have I leveled my scope. These will be my initial impressions, and I will update with groups, round count, and function as we go along. I intend to run it suppressed, however my 30 cal can (Sandman S) is still in NFA jail.

updated as of 4/25/20

updated picture as of 1/16/20, see post 34 for update on rifle https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...04#post2805404

The specs of the DD5V3:
    LOWER RECEIVER: Enhanced Flared Magazine Well and Rear Receiver QD Swivel Attachment Point. CNC Machined of 7075-T6 Aluminum, Type III Hard Coat Anodized
    UPPER RECEIVER: CNC Machined of 7075-T6 Aluminum, Type III Hard Coat Anodized
    BARREL: DD Proprietary Steel, Cold Hammer Forged, 1:11” Twist, 16″ S2W Profile, Intermediate Gas System, Chrome Lined, Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate Coated
    GAS SYSTEM: User-Adjustable Gas Block CNC Machined of 4140 Hardened Steel and Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate Coating, Intermediate, Direct Impingement
    MUZZLE DEVICE: Daniel Defense Superior Suppression Device, 17-4 PH Stainless Steel, Salt Bath Nitride Finished
    TRIGGER: Daniel Defense Mil-Spec
    HANDGUARD: Daniel Defense DD5 Rail 15.0, CNC Machined of 6061-T6 Aluminum, M-LOK Attachment, Type III Hard Coat Anodized
    RECEIVER EXTENSION: 6 Position Mil-Spec 7075-T6 Aluminum
    BUTTSTOCK: Daniel Defense Buttstock, Glass Filled Polymer with Soft Touch Overmolding
    PISTOL GRIP: Daniel Defense Pistol Grip, Glass Filled Polymer with Soft Touch Overmolding
    MAGAZINES: Accepts All SR-25 Magazines
    Made in the USA

Ambi Lower:

Rail to Receiver mount up:

Adjustable Gas Block (set screws and dimpled):

Muzzle Device

Flared Magwell:

Trigger Guard:

AR15 pattern FCG:

Proprietary Buffer:
    Last edited by LowSpeed_HighDrag; 04-30-20 at 00:42.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Buffer Weight:

With Spring:

Castle Nut Staking:

Standard AR10 Pattern CH accepted.

BCG

Captured Firing Pin Retaining Pin

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Firing Pin and Spring:

Bolt

Dual Ejectors

Feedramps

Feedback Score
    Slick... Looking forward to your results.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Pre-firing impressions:

Incredible build quality. Very tight tolerances. So tight of a fit between the upper and lower receiver that the pins must be pushed out with a tool. The finish on the rifle is seemingly flawless. The MLOK HG has MLOK in all of the right places, and fits the hand very well. Magazine release buttons, as they are ambi, are a little tough. Trigger is milspec and will be replaced ASAP with a Larue MBT. The stock DD furniture is in the process of being replaced, I am not a fan. PMags drop freely. Coming from owning only SBR AR15's these days, it's considerably heavier, but the 16" barrel helps it balance well. This is my first experience with firing pin springs, and it's strange to me that it is not captured on the firing pin and can come right off. The BCG is coated in something very slick, and will clean easily. The captured retaining pin helps makes disassembly a breeze. The ambi charging handle is far better than my Geissele Airborne, and on par with my BCM Gunfighters.

Mounted on the rifle currently is:
    Primary Arms SL6 3-8x50 FFP with ACSS DMR reticle
    Burris PEPR mount
    Harris SBRM 6-9

The scope seemed like a good quality optic for the price. I sold my Tikka T3X Tac 1 w/XLR Chassis and Vortex Razor last year, so I was a little gun shy getting back into a multi-thousand dollar PRS type rig. If I find that I have the time to shoot anything as a cop with a toddler and twin girls on the way, I'll upgrade if need be. The PEPR mount is, meh, but it was all my LGS had in stock. I see no reason for it not to work, but if it doesn't I'll upgrade to a Geissele. As far as the Harris, I think I chose the wrong length, and should have bought a 9-13. I also need to buy a Pod Loc, as it swivels even when tight. It has me thinking that maybe the Magpul would be a better option (I foolishly sold my Atlas to Pappabear for a steal, oh the things you wish you could get back!).

I will try to get out to the range on Wednesday to sight it in, test some factory loads, and get some grouping shots. Let me know if there is anything you'd like to see.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Any way to get more detailed unobstructed pictures of the gas block? I am been waiting for some company to come out with a simple low profile 2 position gas block and haven’t found something I want yet.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    Any way to get more detailed unobstructed pictures of the gas block? I am been waiting for some company to come out with a simple low profile 2 position gas block and haven’t found something I want yet.
    I can take a few more, but they won't be unobstructed. I don't want to fiddle with taking the rail off yet.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Awesome. Beggars can’t be choosers.

Feedback Score
    Nice. I have a 2012 v1 thats about the same. Excellent rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Great looking rifle--thanks for the pics. Looking forward to hear how it shoots after you get the Larue trigger installed.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast