Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: DD5V3 Review Thread

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    It's nice looking rifle, but reliability is concerning if it can not cycle without generous lubrication in a 20 degree weather (fairly warm in my opinion). Especially with a military M80. I wonder what's the official temperature envelope manufacturer guarantee, if one exists?
    It bothers me as well. Any repeat and it goes in to DD automatically.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    Yeah I meant more in terms of the weight and balance holding on a target off hand while standing in the woods. Think still hunting. I'm more concerned the weight of the rifle would be annoying compared to a light handy bolt action.
    I think, just like any AR15, it depends on how one configures it. Razor and bipod? Heavy, but handles like a heavy AR. NX8 and no bipod? Might handle surprisingly well. Is it going to feel as good as a 16" Ruger American Predator with lightweight scope? Nope, but they are very different beasts.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    It bothers me as well. Any repeat and it goes in to DD automatically.
    I type this with peace and love...

Are you expecting it to function “bone dry”?
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
    I type this with peace and love...

Are you expecting it to function “bone dry”?
    Not at all. Just never experienced the type of short stroking from a dry BCG before. Disconcerting, but likely operator induced error, learn, move on, get better.

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    My DD5 V1 short stroked a lot initially with Federal M80 ball. It ran fine with regular .308 and ran the M80 ball suppressed. After continuing to have short stroking after 200 rounds I called DD and asked. They advised the bolt needed to be ran fairly wet for proper function. I had use by usual lube practice which is a light coating of CLP on the bearing surfaces. I gave the bearing surfaces of bolt a good coating of Lucas oil and it has functioned fine with the M80 since. I had to sell my V1 in a pinch, but ordered a V3 yesterday, so we'll see soon how it performs.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

DD5V3 Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by operator81 View Post
    My DD5 V1 short stroked a lot initially with Federal M80 ball. It ran fine with regular .308 and ran the M80 ball suppressed. After continuing to have short stroking after 200 rounds I called DD and asked. They advised the bolt needed to be ran fairly wet for proper function. I had use by usual lube practice which is a light coating of CLP on the bearing surfaces. I gave the bearing surfaces of bolt a good coating of Lucas oil and it has functioned fine with the M80 since. I had to sell my V1 in a pinch, but ordered a V3 yesterday, so we'll see soon how it performs.
    Good feedback. My V1 has been flawless on m80 and 168GMM. I’ve always run it “wet”.

You did good by selling it as the charging handle detent mech. is shit.

Feedback Score
    Good feedback. My V1 has been flawless on m80 and 168GMM. I’ve always run it “wet”.

You did good by selling it as the charging handle detent mech. is shit.
    I have a V1. Is the ball detent charging handle causing problems, or just a solution in search of a problem?
    Sure would like feedback about any inherent problems.
    Thanks,
    Skip

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

DD5V3 Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by skipper49 View Post
    I have a V1. Is the ball detent charging handle causing problems, or just a solution in search of a problem?
    Sure would like feedback about any inherent problems.
    Thanks,
    Skip
    Don’t want to turn this into a V1 review / hijack ....

No sir it’s far from “a solution in search of a problem”

I’m unable to manipulate the CH unless I grab both sides. Even then sometimes it doesn’t release. For this reason I told myself I was going to sell it and go back to LMT MWS or maybe a SR25, but have yet to do so.

There’s a reason DD got away from this design.

That said..it’s a shooter
    Last edited by R0CKETMAN; 02-21-20 at 04:44.

Feedback Score
    Thanks ROCKETMAN. Glad to hear manipulation is difficult for you too, as I chalked mine up to being old and weak. And extremely good shooting, btw.
    To the OP here, thanks for a very good review. Nice to hear DD is still keeping build quality high on these, while continuing to innovate and expand DD5 options.
    Best,
    Skip

Feedback Score
    Don’t want to turn this into a V1 review / hijack ....

No sir it’s far from “a solution in search of a problem”

I’m unable to manipulate the CH unless I grab both sides. Even then sometimes it doesn’t release. For this reason I told myself I was going to sell it and go back to LMT MWS or maybe a SR25, but have yet to do so.

There’s a reason DD got away from this design.

That said..it’s a shooter

Yours is a shooter! I sold mine for the same reasons. I decided to go a different route vs the DD5v3

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast