Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DD5V3 Review Thread

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)

Got it out to the range. Sighted in on Fiocchi cheapo 308 for now until I find the load I want. Put a Larue MBT in it. Shooting a gas gun with an okay 2 stage trigger is far different than shooting my bolt Tikka T3x Tac. And by different, I mean I had a hard time getting good groups due to my own shooting. I am sure the gun shoots sub MOA with a better shooter. I tried a few loads: Hornady Superprecision, Hornady American Whitetail, Hornady Super Hunter, Federal 168gr Berger Hybrid. The Federal seemed to group the best, followed by the Superprecision. I could not lock down 1moa or sub moa 5 shot groups without a flyer. Definitely me, not the gun. Put 60 total rounds through it, function was flawless. Recoil was light and dare I say pleasant, much less than my bolt 6.5CM.

I have ordered a Magpul STR stock, an Ergo Tactical Deluxe Grip, and will be ordering a Geissele SDE on one of the next big sales. I put a Pod Loc on the Harris, which helped stop it from swiveling, very cool little product. The thumb screw that tightens the bipod to the mlok mount kept coming loose though, so I have REALLY torqued it down with an allen wrench this time.

I definitely need more practice. But overall, I am pleased.

Feedback Score
    Good shooting! I load the bipod on a bolt gun very aggressively, but found I had my best results with a gas gun, loading the bipod, then pulling the butt stock into my shoulder with my non-firing hand. Reducing the pressure on the bipod while maintaining the same load in my shoulder. If that makes sense.

Thanks for the detailed review.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Looks like a winner. I agree that with more time you'll likely tighten up your groups.

Thanks taking the time to do this review thread, I've really enjoyed it so far.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Looks like the Larue is a worthwhile upgrade--excellent shooting. I bet you'll adjust to the differences between running a gas gun vs bolt in larger centerfire calibers, and those 5rd groups will tighten up. If it continues to hold up with reliable feeding/extraction/cycling, this looks like a winner and I'm gonna be interested in the 6.5 CM version. Looks like the 7.62 versions are popular, already sold out on DD's site and they look scarce even on GB.

ETA: Correction to self, now I do see a few of these on GB, and for not-bad prices. They must be getting these out to distributors now vs last time I checked.
    Last edited by maximus83; 10-19-19 at 13:35.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Very, very nice stick.... I went with the Larue MBT on my 6.5 creedmoor build and found it "not quite there" as well. I may have missed it, but is there something you plan to replace it with?
    Remember, the Founding Fathers reason for the 2nd Amendment... to combat tyranny. Sadly, when people discuss the 2nd Amendment, the opponents erroneously think it was meant to stand alone... it HAS a preamble:

"...But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security..."

— John Hancock

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Very, very nice stick.... I went with the Larue MBT on my 6.5 creedmoor build and found it "not quite there" as well. I may have missed it, but is there something you plan to replace it with?
    Maybe a Wilson or Geissele SDE

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Couldn't get a good setup shooting on the 100yd today. Shot from an unstable bench that moved when everyone else shot from it. I think I found a round that this DD5V3 really likes: Federal 168gr Sierra Matchking. The various Hornady loads shoot okay, but the Federal seems like it would be sub-moa under the right conditions.

Federal Matchking

Hornady Super Precision

Hornady Precision Hunter

Hornady 168gr Match

Fiocchi 150 gr FMJ (yikes)

Hornady Whitetail

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    The recoil impulse of this gun is such a surprise. 60 rounds of mostly match ammo and no soreness in my cheek or shoulder. Easy follow up shots, and controllable rapid fire. I am very impressed with this DD5V3 so far, and I am eagerly awaiting a chance to get it out to a real range and stretch it's legs/test accuracy capabilities from a more controlled environment.

The PA scope seems to be holding up well. Nice clear glass, easy adjustments, bright red dot, etc. The Harris Bipod, in it's stock form, is kinda garbage. With the KMW Pod Loc and a pretty firm tightening of all the screws, it's pretty nice. I do still miss my Atlas though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Timely update, thanks.

Related item, looks like DD is selling standalone uppers for these now. A good sign that they will support this platform.

https://danieldefense.com/uppers.html

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast