Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toolcraft BCG Spec

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by me2hootyhoo View Post
    I vote no. I've seen too many issues with out of spec parts from TC to trust them anymore. All those PSA premium bcg's with no staking, out of spec on headspace, getting shipped to customers, its just not worth it. I'm sure other distributors are trying to keep up with PSA by selling the same thing. Also, I have a TC that causes excessive recoil in my rifles, TC says not possible, my shoulder says otherwise. Microbest, from Sionics, Centurion, SOLGW, DD have all been flawless and can be found for around $120.
    What parts does TC make besides carriers?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I hate to sound like a naysayer, but can they really do all that for $69?

Maybe I should pick up one as a spare ?
    Pretty sure it is possible - ToolCraft is the leading OEM bolt carrier maker, truth be known they probably supply bolt carriers for many of the higher priced BCG's folks on the forum rave about:

We manufacture over 9,000 carriers per week each available with Chrome/Phosphate, Nickel Boron or machined to satisfy all our customers.

When you make that many BC's, you save money by bulk purchase of materials, and your processes get more efficient (in most cases).

ToolCraft also uses a 'propietory' grade of 862 to manufacture the BC:

There is the basic 8620 steel, a better grade of Gun Quality 8620 steel, an even better grade of Aircraft Quality 8620 steel, but then there is the best Aircraft Quality 8620 steel that is proprietary to Toolcraft only and no one else. These high standards of materials set us apart from the rest.

As a .gov supplier, cage code 1B1B6, ToolCraft produces BC's to the mil-spec:

While some manufacturers have compromised the Mil-Spec standards of machining just to add to their profits, Toolcraft has stayed loyal to the Mil-Spec machining standards since the beginning.

All Toolcraft carriers are post-heat treat machined to remove any distortion that has occurred during the heat treat process. We first grind the outside rails that are in contact with the upper after heat treat. Next, we machine the inside bore where the bolt is doing the work. This ensures the gas rings are not damaged and that the weapon cycles and charges smoothly. These standards are not just met, but we exceed them on every operation during the machining processes and this effort gives our carriers a superior finish with no machining lines.

Plus, as I've posted before, The ToolCraft BCG's have a lifetime guarantee.

When you get right down to it, most of the successful OEM suppliers have their roots in the precision machining industry, not the firearms industry. In terms of machining operations, the AR is not that complex. Most of the OEM suppliers were already established in the Aerospace or Transportation industry, and brought those skills to the table to make AR parts.

Regarding price, if I make 9000 of an item, at 5.00 profit, that is $45,000; if I make only 900 of that item, I need to make $50.00 profit per item to make the same profit.

This reality leads me to believe that price isn't always the best indicator of quality.

You do you, though.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I vote no. I've seen too many issues with out of spec parts from TC to trust them anymore. All those PSA premium bcg's with no staking, out of spec on headspace, getting shipped to customers, its just not worth it. I'm sure other distributors are trying to keep up with PSA by selling the same thing. Also, I have a TC that causes excessive recoil in my rifles, TC says not possible, my shoulder says otherwise. Microbest, from Sionics, Centurion, SOLGW, DD have all been flawless and can be found for around $120.
    Seems hard to believe.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by me2hootyhoo
    I believe Tool Craft is a supplier by contract. PSA, or other companies, gives the specs they require for Tool Craft to produce.That's what I've read on the internet anyway ....blaming TC for Palmetto's QC issues doesn't seem fair.
    Last edited by CrowCommand; 10-14-19 at 05:28.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowCommand View Post
    I believe Tool Craft is a supplier by contract. PSA, or other companies, gives the specs they require for Tool Craft to produce.That's what I've read on the internet anyway ....blaming TC for Palmetto's QC issues doesn't seem fair.
    Well, I own a business myself. Quality does not change based on what a customer is willing to pay. Either pay the price for my work or I move on to the next customer that is wanting my reputation and quality. They are selling themselves as well. That's how I look at it anyways. Maybe they are selling a better product to some other brands, don't really care. Once I dug up all the issues with TC I will not buy them anymore. That's just my opinion though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have done a few builds using Tool Craft nitrided BCG's and haven't found any issues during inspection, and I am picky on the QC of parts I am about to build with. No experience with PSA's BCG, but have seen a few uppers that were questionable in quality.

I expect quality and will return anything that doesn't meet standard.....inform and communicate your dissatisfaction to the supplier, and return the product if necessary. I agree with a previous post about not changing quality based on what customer is willing to pay.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Once I dug up all the issues with TC I will not buy them anymore. That's just my opinion though.
    Please describe the issues you've had, or those for which you can provide credible sources of information.

Thanks.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I worked for a manufacturer from 2015-2017 and we used Toolcraft NiB C158 BCG’s. For the most part they were acceptable and passed QC but our biggest issue was their gas keys. We used go/no-go gauges and the reject rate of TC gas keys was about 10%. Most were oversized but a few were undersized.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    I worked for a manufacturer from 2015-2017 and we used Toolcraft NiB C158 BCG’s. For the most part they were acceptable and passed QC but our biggest issue was their gas keys. We used go/no-go gauges and the reject rate of TC gas keys was about 10%. Most were oversized but a few were undersized.
    That could explain the difference in recoil.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Thanks for providing that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast