Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 223 REM Federal Fusion 62gr Comparison; M&P 15 Sport II

Feedback Score

223 REM Federal Fusion 62gr Comparison; M&P 15 Sport II

Hello
    Picked up a box each of the 223 REM 62gr Federal Fusion and the 62gr Fusion MSR today and shot them at 50 yards out of a M&P 15 Sport II; 16” 1-9 twist barrel. The sight on the rifle is a Lucid HD-7 red dot.

The velocity data was taken with an Oehler 33 chronograph. Screens centered 15’ from muzzle.

So Federal says the MSR ammo is loaded with a faster burning powder to perform better in ‘Modern Sporting Rifles’.. and the advertised muzzle velocity of the MSR ammo is 2750 fps. The sample I pulled down contained 23.6grs of a flattened ball powder.

The Federal Fusion 223 Rem 62gr ammo has an advertised muzzle velocity of 3000 fps. The sample I pulled down contained 24.2grs of a flattened ball powder.

You can check out all the pics and data for the pull-downs here;

https://postimg.cc/gallery/mup4vnru/
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/3365tl1ju/

So after shooting five rounds each at a 4” target dot, here is how that went;

Doesn’t appear that the Fusion ammo likes the AR’s short barrel only delivering 2562 fps..

The Fusion MSR on the other hand did very well out of the AR, and was roughly a hundred feet per second faster than advertised velocity, delivering 2866 fps. And, the MSR ammo is 300 fps faster than the Fusion ammo with 0.6grs LESS powder.

So it is true that, not only does the MSR ammo shoot well out of a short AR, it is also faster than advertised velocity. This will be a great deer round for these small black-tail around here. Federal really has a winner here.
    WHY DO THEY CALL IT COMMON SENSE WHEN IT IS SO UNCOMMON?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    1. A 16” barrel isn’t a “short AR”. That would be something in the 12.5” or less variety.
    2. Why are surprised that a round optimized for gas guns is better than the round designed for 20”+ bolt guns?
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Just a confirmation about all that I have heard about this ammunition. Wanted to see it for myself..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the chrono data. Always good to see measured data versus advertised in a typical rifle length. I’ve not shot the MSR version, but the regular Fusion ammo has always been some of the most accurate factory ammo for my rifles, especially for a soft point. I handload the Fusion 62gr bullet as well.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RDub View Post
    Hello
    Picked up a box each of the 223 REM 62gr Federal Fusion and the 62gr Fusion MSR today and shot them at 50 yards out of a M&P 15 Sport II; 16” 1-9 twist barrel. The sight on the rifle is a Lucid HD-7 red dot.

The velocity data was taken with an Oehler 33 chronograph. Screens centered 15’ from muzzle.

So Federal says the MSR ammo is loaded with a faster burning powder to perform better in ‘Modern Sporting Rifles’.. and the advertised muzzle velocity of the MSR ammo is 2750 fps. The sample I pulled down contained 23.6grs of a flattened ball powder.

The Federal Fusion 223 Rem 62gr ammo has an advertised muzzle velocity of 3000 fps. The sample I pulled down contained 24.2grs of a flattened ball powder.

You can check out all the pics and data for the pull-downs here;

https://postimg.cc/gallery/mup4vnru/
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/3365tl1ju/

So after shooting five rounds each at a 4” target dot, here is how that went;

Doesn’t appear that the Fusion ammo likes the AR’s short barrel only delivering 2562 fps..

The Fusion MSR on the other hand did very well out of the AR, and was roughly a hundred feet per second faster than advertised velocity, delivering 2866 fps. And, the MSR ammo is 300 fps faster than the Fusion ammo with 0.6grs LESS powder.

So it is true that, not only does the MSR ammo shoot well out of a short AR, it is also faster than advertised velocity. This will be a great deer round for these small black-tail around here. Federal really has a winner here.
    Thanks for the measuring. What temperature?

Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    1. A 16” barrel isn’t a “short AR”. That would be something in the 12.5” or less variety.
    For an ammo manufacturer advertising velocities, anything less than a 24” single shot with an ultra tight chamber is “short”. Thats how we get full of shit advertised velocities.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Those work well on whitetail deer, used the MSR several years. Just loaded up some 62gr Gold Dot over Varget to chrono this week.

Assuming the test barrels were 24" standard and 16" MSR and using SWAG of 50fps/inch of barrel, your standard sounds about right while your MSR sounds fast. This guy's 20" sounds about right on MSR, but fast on the standard.

Last edited by jsbhike; 10-13-19 at 17:11.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the measuring. What temperature?

Kinda easy to miss, but the temp is on the targets. 60°F

jsbhike; This is one of the videos that inspired me to try this.

Feedback Score
    The Fusion is a good duty round if one finds the Speer Gold Dot hard to come by.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Here’s some more velocities of Gold Dot and Fusion from shorter barrels.
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/16-714088/?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Here’s some more velocities of Gold Dot and Fusion from shorter barrels.
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/16-714088/?
    That post should be a Sticky..

Lots of valuable data there. Eagle_19er might need to update that post, I couldn't see the images..'no longer available'..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast