Thread: Guidance for right load for rifle/shooting better

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Guidance for right load for rifle/shooting better

I own two LMT rifles that I hadn't shot much until I moved out west and got BLM access.

Compared to what I see here and in other places, I am not happy with the performance of myself and my 16" CL MWS.

I would like some guidance with two things.....

What can I do to start shooting this rifle better as far as techniques/tips/tricks? I am comfortable shooting iron sighted bolt action rifles of any caliber(and even my M-1 Garand when I used to own it), but perhaps I am missing something when shooting 7.62 semi rifles with scopes....

Where do I even start in figuring out what kind of 7.62 load works optimally for this rifle? At best, it appears this rifle will do about a minute and a half with FGMM 168. It seems to do awful with most NATO surplus or XM80 except for West German MEN from the 80s (silver jacketed stuff) but even then that's about a minute and a half at best. --Or am I simply concerned too much about group size from a 16" chromed barrel?

FWIW, my protocol for shooting for groups is to shoot 5 shot groups (never 3 shots) at 100m.

Another thing I am curious about: to what extent is barrel heat a factor in opening up groups? Seems like no matter which rifle i shoot for groups, the first string is always best.
    Last edited by rojocorsa; 10-13-19 at 11:06.
    http://parrotheadjeff.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Shooter-Jack-rkba.gif