Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Guidance for right load for rifle/shooting better

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Assuming Rifle, I start with; what is intended purpose of the load?
    Targets or steel; and at what distance?
    Game; size/type (thin skinned, light boned/heavy boned, large)?

Above dictates bullet selection/weight, projected or required velocity, which dictates powder choices.
    What is accuracy requirement? Can dictate Bullet seat depth, charge weight, primer/brass, extent of case prep necessary..............
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'm going to sound stupid to some, but I finally got a proper rear bag instead of using a rolled up sweater and wow, what a difference it makes!

My confidence in these has increased a little.
    http://parrotheadjeff.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Shooter-Jack-rkba.gif

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    I'm going to sound stupid to some, but I finally got a proper rear bag instead of using a rolled up sweater and wow, what a difference it makes!

What bag? I need to get one. Just haven't picked one yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCOAR View Post
    What Tx_Aggie said in regards to natural point of aim can't be stressed enough.
    I'd never heard of Natural Point Of Aim until my first Appleseed shoot. I had just bought a 10/22 and wanted to learn how to shoot with irons. The first day was frustrating and it all seemed like hooey. The second day I listened, relaxed and finally nailed it in prone, viola easiest shooting ever. Inhale sights move up exhale on target shoot. Amazing for 10-20 bucks for 2 days.

I highly recommend at least 1 appleseed event, you'll improve even if you're stubborn and waste 1/2 of it like I did.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    What bag? I need to get one. Just haven't picked one yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    I got a Cross-tac that was bought locally at a retail store. Designed for a precision type stock.

https://www.crosstac.com/shop-all-pr...r-squeeze-bag/
    http://parrotheadjeff.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Shooter-Jack-rkba.gif

Feedback Score
    How do you even start load development for a given rifle, anyway?
    I pick a bullet that I either know will shoot well (say there's a factory load that shoots better than any other, I would choose that bullet) or I pick a bullet that I am confident has the ability to shoot well. (usually Sierra, Berger, or Lapua). Then I pick a powder that should shoot accurately.(Can never go wrong with varget in 308). Then I'll create a ladder of different charges and try to find a node with good accuracy and consistent SD. If I find a good node, I'll load another test with smaller powder increments. If I find an absolute lights out load I may stop there. If its good but could be great then I pick the best load of the test and play with OAL. If I don't find anything promising in the ladder I will with bulet or powder or both. PS I've found LMT 308s to like 150-160gr bullets best, and I generally find best accuracy on the shorter side of OAL.

Feedback Score
    Yep

That last step, your seating depth test, can really bring in your groups

I am not going into it here but if you research load development for rifle precision that will start you in the right direction.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Everything matters when trying to shoot tight little groups. The rear bag is critical, we have two bags, one more squishy that is nice for running steal out to distance in a hurry. And one rock hard for shooting the best groups possible. Takes more time to get set up, but best for tight groups. Glad you found a nice rear bag. Your barrel will settle in after 300 rounds or so then maybe clean it ( not all the copper) and shoot more rounds to get it seasoned again.

I have had 4 LMT barrels, only one shot 1.5 MOA at best, but it's possible to have such a barrel, and 1.5 moa ain't bad. And to get 1.5 out of MEN 147's is badass. I wouldn't obsess over group sizes and once your barrel is seasoned it might tighten to MOA or even sub moa.

Just enjoy the ride and it will come. You have a great gun(s). Post pics here, I see under another post you posted pics elsewhere, share share share

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Everything matters when trying to shoot tight little groups. The rear bag is critical, we have two bags, one more squishy that is nice for running steal out to distance in a hurry. And one rock hard for shooting the best groups possible. Takes more time to get set up, but best for tight groups. Glad you found a nice rear bag. Your barrel will settle in after 300 rounds or so then maybe clean it ( not all the copper) and shoot more rounds to get it seasoned again.

I have had 4 LMT barrels, only one shot 1.5 MOA at best, but it's possible to have such a barrel, and 1.5 moa ain't bad. And to get 1.5 out of MEN 147's is badass. I wouldn't obsess over group sizes and once your barrel is seasoned it might tighten to MOA or even sub moa.

Just enjoy the ride and it will come. You have a great gun(s). Post pics here, I see under another post you posted pics elsewhere, share share share

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234