Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does modification of a polymer pistol increase the value?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Does modification of a polymer pistol increase the value?

I see a lot of ads of polymer pistols with asking prices above list for the stock pistol. I just don’t feel most of those mods increase the value. Night sights, yes. Stipple, undercut, no. Zev hack job on the slide? Hell no.

Thoughts on the market?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    In my opinion no. But I think the people buying or doing those mods are extremely proud of their specialness, so they just know their modified pistol is worth more than an unmodified new one.

I see similar ads but I don't see people actually buying pistols at those prices. I don't see dealers buying modified pistols for resale.

But this was rhetorical, right?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It all depends on what the end user desires. Just like painting guns, some like it, most don't need it. I personally don't like paying for labor, I consider it lost money. That's why I prefer to do anything I can do or take advantage of factory options. Now, some of this work folks have done does look great, some works of art but I don't think it's worth it to me.

I've seen plenty of guns I would've picked up but some knothead either rattle canned it or paid someone way too much for a cerakote job and wants the buyer to pay for it, no thanks. Custom bolt guns, nope don't care if Moses himself built it, lost money.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    It all depends on what the end user desires.
    I'm in this camp. If the potential buyer would send it off to be stippled, undercut, etc. then you MIGHT be able to get a premium.

My limited experience in selling rifles at gun shows has taught me that folks aren't willing to pay enough to cover my nut for aftermarket bolt catches, ambi mag releases, fancy safety levers, etc.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No. Most buyers would prefer to buy an OEM pistol and have custom work done to fit them.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Other than a glock trigger guard undercut there is nothing worth while to modify the frame. Night sights may but you won’t get the return on them when sold. For me and my glocks I do install the G34 extended controls but that is it and they are cheap so no big loss if I were to sell them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No interest. In fact I try to stay away from anything that's been customized. I don't even trust people who put their own night sights on

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I often wonder about the "custom" guns with 50 rounds fired and for sale, it's almost like the fat chick in spikes you thought was a good idea at bar closing.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    There is a difference between homemade stippled jobs versus a professional one. However no one will ever pay you even 50%off the custom work unless it is a Wilson Combat or as such.

That said, that is why you should keep the replace parts when you upgrade. That way you can put the item back to stock when you sell. I had a tricked up 22/45. Couldn’t sell it for nothing at the lgs on consignment. Ended up selling it in pieces on eBay and Gunbroker for way more than what I had asked. Some of the reason is that you have a bigger market of people with parts that already bought the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Was talking to my LGS owner who buys and assesses value on a lot of used firearms. His perspective was that mods to most firearms don't add a lot of market/resale value. I've seen that firsthand in the past, selling firearms privately and to LGS. My perspective as a buyer is I wouldn't pay for mods on *any* polymer pistol.

Used to customize my own 1911, CZ, and polymer pistols. I had a couple S&W M&P's that I spent--too much on. :-) Now esp with polymer pistols I just run them stock, only buy ones where I can stand the stock trigger. My logic is I won't get anything back in resale value on mods, and with plastic pistols I tend to buy two of what I carry, then trade/sell them every few years as improved models keep coming out.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast