Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does modification of a polymer pistol increase the value?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    If you cross paths with someone wanting the modification then you might come out ok as the seller.

I would be really surprised if a present day person with a wood burner/laser engraver/soldering iron is going to be viewed in the same light as an Armand Swenson a few decades down the road.
    Armand Swenson was a true master at 1911's! I handled several of his hard chrome builds back in the early 90's when I was stationed in San Diego....they are classics!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm with the majority on this one and agree with Fledge's examples, especially used vehicles. When I see "mod(s)" mentioned, my spidey senses start to tingle and I tend to move on.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." –Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Like a previous poster said, unless it's from a well known Smith, with the paperwork / invoice to back it up, it's worth LESS than a stock pistol IMO.

Feedback Score
    This thread reminds me of a guy sitting in his mini van asking why the price of a used ZR1 corvette cost more than a new stock corvette.
    I can tell by the wording in the OP that he has no intention of using a gun with stipple or milled slide, like the guy in the mini van won't use a corvette.
    Those that do want that type of equipment are unfortunately a small minority. Companies like S&W, SA, etc wouldn't mill slides and stipple grips if it didn't serve a purpose.

I was in a class in Michigan outdoors in March a few years ago. The temp was 8 degrees at the start of the class. A few hours into the class the instructor ran a drill called malfunction mayhem. He would cause your gun to malfunction and it was up to you to get it back into the fight. With completely numb hands I started to understand why a family member wasted the money destroying the look of his gun, with the stippled grip and milled slide.
    He swapped guns with me for the rest if that drill and that was a real eye opener.
    Needles to say Monday morning I contacted the shop he had the work done on his gun and ordered what I had been calling a waste of money.
    That gun is my edc now and why I laugh when reading these type of threads, I used to think like the majority in this thread.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .45fan View Post
    This thread reminds me of a guy sitting in his mini van asking why the price of a used ZR1 corvette cost more than a new stock corvette.
    I can tell by the wording in the OP that he has no intention of using a gun with stipple or milled slide, like the guy in the mini van won't use a corvette.
    Those that do want that type of equipment are unfortunately a small minority. Companies like S&W, SA, etc wouldn't mill slides and stipple grips if it didn't serve a purpose.

I was in a class in Michigan outdoors in March a few years ago. The temp was 8 degrees at the start of the class. A few hours into the class the instructor ran a drill called malfunction mayhem. He would cause your gun to malfunction and it was up to you to get it back into the fight. With completely numb hands I started to understand why a family member wasted the money destroying the look of his gun, with the stippled grip and milled slide.
    He swapped guns with me for the rest if that drill and that was a real eye opener.
    Needles to say Monday morning I contacted the shop he had the work done on his gun and ordered what I had been calling a waste of money.
    That gun is my edc now and why I laugh when reading these type of threads, I used to think like the majority in this thread.
    I don't think he was asking about the utility of the mods. He was asking about the value of them.

I personally run a Costa Comp 9mm so mine came set up like that. But I still wouldn't value someone else's mods as much as I would my own or ones done by a reputable smith.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DaringRaider View Post
    I don't think he was asking about the utility of the mods. He was asking about the value of them.

I personally run a Costa Comp 9mm so mine came set up like that. But I still wouldn't value someone else's mods as much as I would my own or ones done by a reputable smith.
    Has anybody with a similar mindset to yours referred to your slide as a hack job like the OP did?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Modifications will have a value to a user and within a context. Some will buy because the gun is perceived as custom/special/etc, others will buy because they have need of a feature, and others will pass.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    This is very subjective. There are many things that can be done to a stock Glock (I'm assuming you're referring to these specifically) to enhance accuracy and usability.
    I'm obviously biased, but it really depends on the person and what they plan on doing with the gun. We have many clients who have no problem paying a premium for limited edition pistols due to rarity and collect-ability. Others, would rather have something that suits exactly what they need that they can beat to hell and not have to worry about the next range trip or training session.

These modifications are very similar to modifying a car. Realistically, the next buyer will not have the same vision that you did for it, so anything done to it (no matter how much value you think has been added, including cost) that strays from their intended purpose will decrease value.

Pricing surrounding certain 1911s is a different story all together.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Ive never got more money after a trigger job and night sights and whatever else.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .45fan View Post

I just use skateboard tape.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast