Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if you leave the cam pin out?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

What if you leave the cam pin out?

Instruction manual of my old Bushmaster says if you leave it out, the rifle will fire and WILL EXPLODE.

I always wondered about that. I'm looking at my disassembled rifle now. It seems to me that what would happen is the rifle would fire, the bolt carrier goes back as usual, but since the cam pin is missing, the bolt won't unlock. It will stay put. But I don't see how that would make the rifle explode?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The bolt wouldn't rotate (lock) when the round is chambered and it would be catastrophic if fired. If it locked, the bolt would remain in the barrel extension. It would be fairly obvious to anyone familiar with the system that the cam pin is missing during reassembly.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-14-19 at 00:33.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Just don't do it. - Not Nancy
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Think about it, without the cam pin you are turning the bolt carrier into a straight blow back, bad things are going to happen at the rear of the receiver/receiver extension when it hits there.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Newton's third law of physics is still in effect even without a cam pin.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Without the cam pin in place, the bolt will not rotate and lock in place. When fired, the case pushes back against the bolt isn't locked in place when the AR is fired, the case will push the bolt out of battery while the pressure is building to its peak- 50,000 psi or more. With the bolt out of battery and the case out of and no longer supported by the chamber, the case can no longer contain the pressure and will split, or worse, burst. There will be an out of battery kaboom with potentially catastrophic results resulting in the destruction of the rifle and possibly fatal injuries to the shooter.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    ^Really makes me feel like I take proper engineering for granted.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Instruction manual of my old Bushmaster says if you leave it out, the rifle will fire and WILL EXPLODE.

I always wondered about that. I'm looking at my disassembled rifle now. It seems to me that what would happen is the rifle would fire, the bolt carrier goes back as usual, but since the cam pin is missing, the bolt won't unlock. It will stay put. But I don't see how that would make the rifle explode?
    Something like this will happen:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Makes sense. After seeing how my new AR6951 operates, in blowback mode, I thought that blowback might work there, too. But thinking about it, there's a world of difference between a 9mm and a 5.56. It would indeed go kaboom.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    One would have to be too retarded to field strip the gun and get the bolt group apart to forget to put the cam pin back in and attempt to fire it.

It's a self preventing problem.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast