Thread: mounting lights on a 16 inch faux dissy?

Feedback Score

Question mounting lights on a 16 inch faux dissy?

Apologies if this is a common topic, PRG (People's Republic of Google) did not return much...

The build I am thinking about is pretty basic, a straightforward point-and-shoot-win-the25-yard-fight sort of thing. Fixed buttstock, 16 inch barrel with midlength gas port, dot sight, no irons. Yes, no irons; I'm at the age where anything closer than 4 ft away is a blur. And preferably, a light at 12 o'clock. I don't need free-floating, I would love to have MOE handguards; cheap, light, simple.

I've seen some pics online of 16 inch dissy clones that look awesome, but there's the dang light mount issue. I like the Streamlight TLR series, I was thinking a gas block with rail at 12 o-clock would be the place to mount it nice and low and be "thumb-able". I've seen FSBs on a dissy, don't recall a railed "sight block" on a dissy. Even if there was one, seems to me the the light's lens would get polluted by muzzle soot pretty quickly.

I can think of these solutions:
    - accept the soot and clean it as needed,
    - move the light to the handguard and have it stick up a bit,
    - go to a 18 inch bbl,
    - mount a long FH/comp.

Anything I've overlooked?

thx

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you are mounting the light on a 1913 railed dummy gas block I don't think muzzle blast will hit a TLR lens. Should be positioned further back than the max forward mounting possible with a 15" rail on a 16" barrel.

Feedback Score
    Interesting! Thanks for the response.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    16" midlength dissipator with a rail and a light. I had a TLR mounted there, but I moved that to another carbine.

A MOE with a light mount shouldn't be an issue and would put the TLR about where my light is now.

I think you'd need one hell of a wingspan to mount it out where the FSB is without a remote switch.
    Last edited by mrbieler; 10-14-19 at 16:55.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post

I think you'd need one hell of a wingspan to mount it out where the FSB is without a remote switch.
    Great point, last time I was in the AR market, tape switch setups were the only option. I better get hands on and make some measurements...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mossie Tactical Midnight Mount and a tape switch. The Midnight Mount clamps to the front of the FSB allowing the light to be set at 12 o'clock. A tape switch will let you set it at a location you can easily reach.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a 15" rail on a 20" that has a cut down FSB for a gas block. Holding a TLR-1 so the clamping screw is in the middle of the gas block positions the TLR1 body even with the ears on my MBUS front (@12.25"-12.5" forward of the upper) and the paddles further rear than that.

I am 5'10" with average proportions and I can place my thumb on the MBUS sight ears with my arm no where close to fully extended.

No idea if this place sucks or not, but I noticed this one extends the 1913 to the rear slightly.

http://damageindustriesllc.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=254