Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KISS build decision

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

KISS build decision

I have an LMT 10.5” SBR and a Colt 6920 outfitted identically. Surefire M300. VCAS sling. No optics. Both have a Troy BUIS.

I usually carry the LMT with me when I go on road trips. The 6920 is just a rifle that sits in the safe since it was so cheap but I’d like to find a purpose for it. The downside to the 6920 is I’d have to keep it disassembled because it’s loo long for my bag. The downside to the LMT is if I ever have to use it not having a 5320.20 might be an issue.

I’m debating on whether I should throw carry handles on both rifles and be done with it, or get an Aimpoint PRO or used M2/ML3 etc on one or both. I like the idea of not requiring batteries to shoot. If I did get an optic it would go on whichever rifle I used for travel.

Just trying to keep things simple. I put?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My slutty Colt had a carry handle for a reason.

I’d do that but that’s just me

Feedback Score
    While it might veer off the KISS track you could get one of those LAW folding stock things and that would reduce the OAL of your 6920 considerably (for carry in your bag in lieu of the LMT and it's requisite permission slip for out-of-state ventures). No reassembly required; just slap the stock back into position and you're ready to rock.

You can't go wrong with an Aimpoint PRO. For size/weight reduction a T-1 or T-2 is even better (not sure if you like those or not). The battery life on any of the Aimpoints is disgustingly l-o-n-g so it shouldn't be an issue. Since you have flip-ups even if the battery died you'd still be in business.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 10-14-19 at 12:17.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    For peace of mind, you can just put a new battery in the Aimpoint once a year, should you go that route. If there was a catastrophe and your Aimpoint quit, you would use the back up irons just as effectively as otherwise.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Something like the comp m4s is attractive to me since AA batteries are everywhere. Also... 8 years of battery life!
    Cons: heavy and super expensive new.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I’m flabbergasted that the guy who likes to talk about blasting in the dark with NODs and a Glock 19 with more doodads for night shooting attached to it than both the aforementioned carbines are worth, is positing this question. All this about a carbine he intends to use to defend himself from brigands on the road.

I’ll just let this marinate. I think all the answers will spring up without anymore help.
    .25 Lorcin w/ comp and red dot AIWB and a 9mm Calico folder as primary

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    I’m flabbergasted that the guy who likes to talk about blasting in the dark with NODs and a Glock 19 with more doodads for night shooting attached to it than both the aforementioned carbines are worth, is positing this question. All this about a carbine he intends to use to defend himself from brigands on the road.

I’ll just let this marinate. I think all the answers will spring up without anymore help.
    This made me laugh (in a good way, although I’m unsure if your intentions were for it to sting a bit!)

I like getting input from others. I don’t pretend to be an expert. We all think differently. For example I’d never considered a LAW folder on the 6920 as ABNAK mentioned. I’ve thought about it for the LMT, but that doesn’t solve the 5320.20 problem.

It’s not that I mind having something expensive in my trunk, or that I want KISS because it’s cheap. It has everything to do with the peace of mind that comes with a KISS setup. I like that I never need to worry about anything. If I jam some stuff in the back or put a 75lb whatever on the bag the rifle is in I don’t concern myself with it losing zero if it has irons.

I have never had a T1 lose zero in the decade I’ve been using them but it’s the unwarranted worry that I’m trying to avoid. Not any actual negative impacts on the zero itself.

Hope that makes sense.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Seems like a personal preference thing.

If I'm chucking an AR in my Jeep for the day, which I usually do if I'm going to be in or around my vehicle a lot, (I don't bother if I'm going somewhere that I'm going to be leaving the vehicle for extended periods of time) *most* of the time it's an irons-only gun, either with a light already on it or a mounting point upon which I can put the cheap PA weaponlight I keep in my Jeep in the event I end up out after dark.
    My 10.3" SBR currently has a carry handle on it, and the other two main guns that pull Jeep duty have a fixed A1 and A2 carry handle.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    IMO a red dot and white light is still KISS [just not archaic]. Fixed irons and a co-witnessed optic with run time measure in years is the ticket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Yes.

My 11.5" KISS rig. Love it. Zero'd at 38yds with 77gr OTM (Magtech), flat to 200, and the elevation drum tracks well to past 500.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast