Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: KISS build decision

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMarine View Post
    Yes.

My 11.5" KISS rig. Love it. Zero'd at 38yds with 77gr OTM (Magtech), flat to 200, and the elevation drum tracks well to past 500.

Simplicity does have an elegance about it.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Make a 10.5/11.5" pistol with an SBA3 configured identically to the two guns. Put a PRO on it.

Sell the 6920 if you have to to fund the pistol and strip the doodads needed to make the pistol identical to the SBR - I hear there are people willing to pay top dollar for Colts, right now.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    This made me laugh (in a good way, although I’m unsure if your intentions were for it to sting a bit!)

I like getting input from others. I don’t pretend to be an expert. We all think differently. For example I’d never considered a LAW folder on the 6920 as ABNAK mentioned. I’ve thought about it for the LMT, but that doesn’t solve the 5320.20 problem.

It’s not that I mind having something expensive in my trunk, or that I want KISS because it’s cheap. It has everything to do with the peace of mind that comes with a KISS setup. I like that I never need to worry about anything. If I jam some stuff in the back or put a 75lb whatever on the bag the rifle is in I don’t concern myself with it losing zero if it has irons.

I have never had a T1 lose zero in the decade I’ve been using them but it’s the unwarranted worry that I’m trying to avoid. Not any actual negative impacts on the zero itself.

Hope that makes sense.
    I meant it with equal parts comedy and “think about this seriously.”

Everyone thinks “KISS” means “poor.” To me, it means, everything is done intentionally, for a purpose. We’ve all seen those guns that people slap together with lots of stuff that makes their inner GI Joe moron self feel hard, but is just for looks. That’s not simple, that’s stupid. Adding stuff that makes the tool more useful isn’t making it overly complicated.

My work gun has a sophisticated optic, free float rail, multiple light emitting devices that melt eyeballs with various wavelengths of energy, and of course a sling. To me it is simple. Everything is exactly where it should be for maximum efficiency and nothing is on the gun that doesn’t have to be. Everything enhances my abilities.

Without the proper forms for travel, the SBR is a non-starter for me.

I would:
    chop the 6920 FSB (most robust and simple gas block there is)
    Install a Geissele mk16 (anyone who has installed a GI barrel but knows it’s anything but simple. The G nut IS simple.)
    Add at 600 series light for MORE power (it’s life saving gear, that rides in the trunk, weight?)
    Add an aimpoint. They are bomb proof-ish and faster than irons, especially at night.
    Add sling.
    Keep spare batteries on or near the gun.

Now you have an efficient, more effective defensive carbine. That’s what I would do. I would also avoid throwing 75lbs stuff on it.
    .25 Lorcin w/ comp and red dot AIWB and a 9mm Calico folder as primary

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

KISS build decision

Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post

Everyone thinks “KISS” means “poor.” To me, it means, everything is done intentionally, for a purpose. We’ve all seen those guns that people slap together with lots of stuff that makes their inner GI Joe moron self feel hard, but is just for looks. That’s not simple, that’s stupid. Adding stuff that makes the tool more useful isn’t making it overly complicated.
    This should be memorialized, immortalized, and written in whatever is harder than granite but can be shaped into ten commandments looking deal. It was funny and I’m sure will make many people rethink their definition of simple.
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 10-14-19 at 15:07.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMarine View Post
    Yes.

My 11.5" KISS rig. Love it. Zero'd at 38yds with 77gr OTM (Magtech), flat to 200, and the elevation drum tracks well to past 500.
    I agree with others, that is a nice looking rig, and IMO, a nicely composed photo.

Since I interpreted Euro's question as regarding a KISS travel rifle, especially since he mentioned the 5320.23, I'd be concerned that in some states the AR pistol might be problematic. Of course, that would depend on where he is traveling to and the states he crosses through getting there.

Simplest answer for me would be a LAW folder on the 6920, with an etched reticle optic such as the Vortex Spitfire 1X.

That way batteries aren't an issue, the M300 will front light the target putting the reticle into contrast. Of course you can always turn on the optic and illuminate the reticle. He still would have his BUIS in case of, well, a round through the optic.

Seems the simplest route. I have several LAW folders, they work well. I even have an airsoft knockoff which works well on a .22 I built.

JMO.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post

My work gun has a sophisticated optic, free float rail, multiple light emitting devices that melt eyeballs with various wavelengths of energy, and of course a sling. To me it is simple. Everything is exactly where it should be for maximum efficiency and nothing is on the gun that doesn’t have to be. Everything enhances my abilities.

Without the proper forms for travel, the SBR is a non-starter for me.

I would:
    chop the 6920 FSB (most robust and simple gas block there is)
    Install a Geissele mk16 (anyone who has installed a GI barrel but knows it’s anything but simple. The G nut IS simple.)
    Add at 600 series light for MORE power (it’s life saving gear, that rides in the trunk, weight?)
    Add an aimpoint. They are bomb proof-ish and faster than irons, especially at night.
    Add sling.
    Keep spare batteries on or near the gun.

Now you have an efficient, more effective defensive carbine. That’s what I would do. I would also avoid throwing 75lbs stuff on it.
    We’ve talked/pmed over the years here and there, so you know I’m not just kissing your ass, but in that post alone it got ME thinking about some stuff on my own Colt that would make it easier.

The slut is getting a new rail this year. It’s either a URX or a Mk16. Looking hard at it since now they are sold separately. Like if you don’t mind, if I didn’t feel like chopping a block. Would a DD Mk. 18 or whatever block do just as well or what?

Or would you know of someone trustworthy who could shave it and take all the sling crap off to clear the rail?

Thanks for your time and any answers.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    What about a carry handle with a TA44 1.5x ACOG on it? Light weight, no batteries required and you can use your irons underneath the optic.

Feedback Score
    For the 6920, throw an ACOG on it and call it a day. Powered. By. The. Freakin. Sun.

An Aimpoint PRO for the shorty. I happen to know a guy who is selling one...

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The slut is getting a new rail this year. It’s either a URX or a Mk16. Looking hard at it since now they are sold separately. Like if you don’t mind, if I didn’t feel like chopping a block. Would a DD Mk. 18 or whatever block do just as well or what?

Or would you know of someone trustworthy who could shave it and take all the sling crap off to clear the rail?
    I'm sure NongShim will be along shortly but since I've had/have both of the handguards you mentioned... I've had zero problems with any of the ADCO installed low profile gas blocks (double dimpled set screw installation w/Rocksett or High temp Loc-Tite).

The URX 3.1 has very tight internal clearance, I've had good luck with Badger Ordnance SS TDX manifolds but trying to shave down a FSP might be more trouble than it's worth.

The URX 4 is more forgiving of a larger gas block but even if you chop a FSP you'll run into issues trying to insert pins which puts you back into aftermarket set screw gas blocks.

The Mk16 is probably the easiest to install because it lacks the IBN of the URX4 and you can run a larger GB or chopped FSP. Downside is that it's heavier and/or more expensive than either URX.

I'd vote URX4 with a dimpled GB installation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    My preference is for an rds with a buis (folding or not, I would this on both)

That said, i have low confidence with irons in low-light (very little experience), so that rules them out for me for serious use.
    I have an irons-only gun because I enjoy it a couple times a year, and it serves as a backup gun.
    Obviously your experience may make low-light irons a non issue.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast