Thread: Help me find a light!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Help me find a light!

I'm looking for a rechargeable flashlight with some kind of charging base to keep by the front door. I currently have an olight baton, which quite frankly sucks and will be last olight I will own. The light itself does not work for me, but the charging base is great and that's what I'm looking to replicate but in a better light from a better brand.

No one in my family will plug anything in and I'm tired of picking up dead flashlights. My ideal light would be a Surefire Fury tactical with an olight style charging base. I'm not looking for bargain basement. At least 500 lumens in a tight spot-light like beam would be great. Over 500 lumens would be even better. It's mostly for nightly dog walks where we frequently need to spot things pretty far off in the distance, so brightness and reach are more important than flooding the immediate vicinity.

I'm partial to a tailcap switch, but the most important thing is the base and I'm not sure if it's possible to have both. It must be lazy-proof so that anyone can easily take it and return it without having to think about it. Anything like this exist?

Thanks in advance!!!
    Last edited by Bluto; 10-14-19 at 13:25.

Feedback Score
    May not be exactly it but worth a look:

https://smile.amazon.com/Streamlight...108874&sr=8-28

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Though it doesn't have a stand I love surefire flashlights. The surefire fury dft and FURY IntelliBeam both accept rechargeable batteries and around 1500 lumens.

Feedback Score
    Streamlight Stinger series, Streamlight Strion series, Nitecore R25/R40, Fenix RC20, Ledlenser F1R (the iL7R and P5R are a bit under 500 lumens, but might be worth a look), Pelican 7060/7070R/8060.

I do think you're seriously limiting yourself by demanding a base though. You could get far better performance by simply getting two flashlights that run off of 18650s, and cycle through them, or even the lights that take a plug (some which have magnetic plugs).
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have the same issue and these have been working out well for a couple years now. Great tactical switching as well. Nitecore makes other newer ones with bases/wall mounts as well.

Having a known wall mount location also keeps everyone from grabbing my other favorite lights and leaving them in random places!

Nitecore R25 800 Lumens Rechargeable LED Tactical Police Flashlight - Including Rechargeable Battery, Charging Dock, Adapter, Holster and 2X LumenTac CR123A
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I08KNWI..._3fxPDbSM1Y9MY

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    I'm looking for a rechargeable flashlight with some kind of charging base to keep by the front door. I currently have an olight baton, which quite frankly sucks and will be last olight I will own. The light itself does not work for me, but the charging base is great and that's what I'm looking to replicate but in a better light from a better brand.

No one in my family will plug anything in and I'm tired of picking up dead flashlights. My ideal light would be a Surefire Fury tactical with an olight style charging base. I'm not looking for bargain basement. At least 500 lumens in a tight spot-light like beam would be great. Over 500 lumens would be even better. It's mostly for nightly dog walks where we frequently need to spot things pretty far off in the distance, so brightness and reach are more important than flooding the immediate vicinity.

I'm partial to a tailcap switch, but the most important thing is the base and I'm not sure if it's possible to have both. It must be lazy-proof so that anyone can easily take it and return it without having to think about it. Anything like this exist?

Thanks in advance!!!
    Which Olight Baton did you get and what did you not like about it. Was it the lack of throw? Tint? Spill? Beam profile? Without knowing this, people could be recommending lights that have the same characteristics you are already hating.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Good point as well as a quick update...

I have the Baton S30R III. Here's the exact one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are several issues. Some are just personal preferences and one is a defect that I could not get resolved. The button isn't the easiest to use. While I do prefer a tailcap button, I can live with a top one but this one is just terrible. It's almost flush with the body and hard to find without looking at it. It's also hard to press. I managed by leaving the pocket clip at the opposite angle to help find the button, but that's not reliable as the clip rotates. At times it even blocks the button and the clip is made with some kind of soft metal, so bending it tighter doesn't really work. I forgot to mention it in my first post, but my wife has arthritis and this just made it very difficult for her.

The "1050 lumens" claim is useless. It may get that bright for the first few minutes of a fully charged battery, but drops to about 70% of that almost immediately.

Too many brightness levels and confusing methods to activate them. It's hard enough for me to memorize and a joke to explain to others. Normally it's not an issue, but if someone holds the button too long it locks the light and the unlock process is so confusing I don't even remember it.

The spill and beam profile are OK. No complaints on that one.

The biggest issue, however, and this one is unforgivable, is that it sometimes just decides to not work! Sometimes it will not turn off when it's fresh off the dock, sometimes it will shut off during use. I tried contacting the manufacturer several times with no response. Their US phone number goes to voicemail and emails go unreplied. I have read elsewhere that the issue may be the thermal protection kicking in but that doesn't make sense as it occurs with the flashlight stone cold.

The only thing going for this light is the charging dock, which at this point isn't enough to keep me interested.

Update:
    I bought a streamlight and while the light is good, the charging dock isn't ideal. The pins on the dock and light must match perfectly for it to charge. It looks like the nitecore is very similar, so I won't bother. I bought this for my wife and kids. My wife has limited dexterity in her hands and my kids have little attention span. She can't easily line up the pins and the kids just wont.

I think I'm just going to go with a dual fuel fury with a couple of extra batteries and manually recharge them.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Glad to see you got it sorted out.

For the Olight problem, did you try the warranty link form on their website? I had a S10 go bad on me awhile back...I filled out the onlne form...they responded with an RMA# and a PDF to print out their RMA form and instructions how to send it back. They sent me a new updated model for free. I just had to spend money on the USPS shipping to them which wasn't much.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Glad to see you got it sorted out.

For the Olight problem, did you try the warranty link form on their website? I had a S10 go bad on me awhile back...I filled out the online form...they responded with an RMA# and a PDF to print out their RMA form and instructions how to send it back. They sent me a new updated model for free. I just had to spend money on the USPS shipping to them which wasn't much.
    Yeah, I tried that... The warranty portal on their site (https://www.olightstore.com/contacts/warranty.html) is only good if you bought the light directly from them. The "warranty" link on their corporate site (https://olightworld.com/find-olight-store) directs you to the same store. The phone number goes to voicemail and emails sent to the address provided go to a black hole.

I bought it a little over a year ago and am not expecting them to honor anything. I did buy it from an authorized reseller, but they are pretty much useless. I'm just over the light and the company behind it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hmmm... that sucks. Must have changed their website.

Try the Questions and answers form on the website. I recently gave them an idea on how to hold their magnetic tape switch securely onto their light and they replied back to me in a day. They auto replied using contact@olightstore.com and then a person replied that they were forwarding the idea to the design team using cs@olightstore.com

Worth a try. Good luck!