Thread: Convert colt commando to a1 upper?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Convert colt commando to a1 upper?

Hey guys, I have always had a fantasy of building an a1 commando. I currently have a 11.5 colt upper. I want it to have proper , etc. Is there anybody making milspec a1 uppers that would be appropriate for this?
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Hey guys, I have always had a fantasy of building an a1 commando. I currently have a 11.5 colt upper. I want it to have proper , etc. Is there anybody making milspec a1 uppers that would be appropriate for this?
    Windham makes one and you can choose to have M4 feed ramps or not. Also the Brownells A1 uppers that are made by Nodak Spud.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    What's the consensus on the Windham weaponry uppers? Are these good enough for self defense or are they just for fun retro builds? I am trying to put together a super KISS trunk pistol but I will still be shooting it every weekend.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Fulton Armory gives you the option of ordering an A1 upper with or without M4 feed ramps.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    What's the consensus on the Windham weaponry uppers? Are these good enough for self defense or are they just for fun retro builds? I am trying to put together a super KISS trunk pistol but I will still be shooting it every weekend.
    For what it is worth.. Windham is the former owner of Bushmaster.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My WW is excellent (20" govt.)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I used a Windham C7 upper with M4 feed ramps for my 733 clone
    IMG_20190722_080734384.jpg
    I've only got about 200 rounds through it because it's stupid overgassed due to the Spikes barrel I had to use. I need to get one of those BRT EZ-tune gas tubes for it.

The upper is fine, although I will say that the M4 ramps on it are oddly shallow and short by the standards of what I'm used to.
    On the other hand, 700 series guns like the 733 apparently had upper receiver feedramps that were not as pronounced as actual M4 ramps, at least early on. So it works.
    Fulton Armory has A1,C7, and A2 uppers available with M4 feedramps as well. I've used a couple of their uppers too and have had no issues. If you want an actual A1 style upper with feed ramps but *without* the brass deflector, I'd go with Fulton. The Windham uppers are the C7 style with the deflector.
    Windham has some shortcomings as a company but if you pick and choose what you need from them you will probably be ok. The Windham parts I've used have all been just fine (I have one of their barrels in another Retro clone and I've been very happy with it).

One thing I'd mention though is your Colt 11.5 upper probably has an F height front sight (I'm assuming it's a flat top) which is not correct for a fixed carry handle upper. In theory it could cause issues zeroing, however I've heard of people being able to zero carbines with fixed carry handles and F-height FSBs just fine too, so YMMV.