Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethical

Feedback Score

Ethical

I've been bowhunting since '81, enjoying every aspect of the sport from compounds to longbows with cedar arrows.
    However, after three shoulder surgeries, including a completely torn and retracted rotator cuff that was beyond repair, I reluctantly put down my last bow three years ago. I was never a fan of crossbows, but I really miss those seasons spent watching the natural world from a treestand.
    I guess old traditions die hard, but I've been putting a lot of thought into getting a getting a crossbow, and getting back out into the woods.
    Any thoughts on this?

Feedback Score
    I say get a crossbow. Do you rifle hunt at all? I’m not a bow hunter but as one hunter to another you should set aside the pride and do whatever it takes to get back into the woods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Use a crossbow. You can let the deer get just as close to you as you ever did with a bow.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Use a crossbow. You can let the deer get just as close to you as you ever did with a bow.
    Correct. The myth is that crossbows have a range like a rifle but it is similar to a compound bow. I say go for it and enjoy the hunt again.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Would you rather hunt with a crossbow or not hunt at all? Any interest in handgun and/or muzzleloader hunting?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by .223Pound View Post
    I've been bowhunting since '81, enjoying every aspect of the sport from compounds to longbows with cedar arrows.
    However, after three shoulder surgeries, including a completely torn and retracted rotator cuff that was beyond repair, I reluctantly put down my last bow three years ago. I was never a fan of crossbows, but I really miss those seasons spent watching the natural world from a treestand.
    I guess old traditions die hard, but I've been putting a lot of thought into getting a getting a crossbow, and getting back out into the woods.
    Any thoughts on this?
    Buy a crossbow.

I dont see how this is a question. Do what you want. I rip on able-bodied dudes using them in jest, but as long as you make clean kills, all that matters is that you are living the life you want(getting in the woods and hunting?)... you only get one life.

Crossbows are not the same as compounds, which are not the same as traditional. Other peoples opinions should not matter to you.

Edit: killing a deer with anything is a greater accomplishment than sitting at home watching hunting shows.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-15-19 at 23:02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If anyone gives you crap, ask them why they aren't hunting via spear, atlatl, stone throwing, death pits, or driving them off a cliff the way it used to be done.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The same bowhunting guys who rag on crossbows are also often gun hunters who use a bolt action or semi-auto during firearms season. If they were such purists as to be snobby about bow hunting then why aren't they taking an unloaded blackpowder rilfe into the field and only loading it when a deer presents itself? I mean if it's all about how hard it is to turn and draw and not get busted then why not pack a smokepole while the deer is in range of you?

What happens to the sense of tradition when firearm season starts?

If it's a legal method to take game then don't worry about the haters...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    double tap...
    Last edited by sva01; 10-17-19 at 05:45.

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    They have these air guns now that shoot broadheads. I know it's not the same thing, but there are two older men that have a hard time getting around that I know use them. Just another option. I know a couple of people who have had issues with shoulders and ended up just dropping the draw weight down. I had a bicep tendon rupture and it was an issue with me for a couple years, but am back up to a 70 lb draw with no issues now. Ted Nugent says he hunts with a 45 lb draw and I think he's pretty successful. But I suppose with your injury, that a bow is completely out of the question? I love being out in the woods... especially during hunting season when there is a good snowfall. Just something special about it when all is quiet and peaceful in the mountains.
    Last edited by teufelhund1918; 10-28-19 at 09:20.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast