Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it legal to shoot a deer that got hit by a car ?

Feedback Score

Is it legal to shoot a deer that got hit by a car ?

I would like to know if there are any rules applied to this scenario, have in mind that getting the animal off its mystery is also a priority(at least to me, watching it shake and grunt wouldn't be fun).

Appreciate all info.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Varies from state to state. In Texas it's illegal to harvest any deer if it's not deer season, and it's illegal to harvest a road kill year round. If it's deer season, the deer has only been wounded by the car, and you have a hunting license, then you should be good. Otherwise, I recommend calling a game warden.
    Last edited by TexHill; 10-16-19 at 09:34.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I do feel bad for them but I'll keep driving without stopping to listen to it grunt. I'm not playing games with discharging my firearm. I have it for self defense and the deer isn't attacking me

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    Varies from state to state. In Texas it's illegal to harvest any deer if it's not deer season, and it's illegal to harvest a road kill year round. If it's deer season, the deer has only been wounded by the car, and you have a hunting license, then you should be good. Otherwise, I recommend calling a game warden.
    Looks like Texas has a law against discharging firearms on right of way. Not sure if that is town by town thing and it seems to have an element that it is done recklessly to be illegal.

Feedback Score
    Probably not. There may be laws against discharging firearms on a roadway. There are also laws against discharging firearms within a certain distance of dwellings. Plus game laws.

A family member in Arizona recently hit a javelina. She later asked a deputy whether she could have shot it. He said no, against the law. She didn't have a firearm at the time anyway, so she ran over it again 3 more times before it died. The deputy looked a little queasy. Those things are tough.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    This is one of those discretion on behalf of the LEO needs to be exercised imo.

Probably technically unlawful in most jurisdictions but, meh. It’s the right thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    While working on patrol in a small NC town one night, we got a call about an accident involving a car and deer. Another unit and I happened to be close by and arrived within a minute or two of the radio call. We put the deer down on the side of the road. Normally in this situation we would have the town utilities department pick up the carcass in the morning, but before we ever got back in our cars, a white pickup truck showed up, a guy in overalls got out and stated "I was on my porch and heard the squealing tires and thud, followed by a shot, and figured someone hit a deer. Can I have it?" We helped him load it into the bed of his truck, and he drove back home. My partner and I got a good chuckle out of it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by john armond View Post
    While working on patrol in a small NC town one night, we got a call about an accident involving a car and deer. Another unit and I happened to be close by and arrived within a minute or two of the radio call. We put the deer down on the side of the road. Normally in this situation we would have the town utilities department pick up the carcass in the morning, but before we ever got back in our cars, a white pickup truck showed up, a guy in overalls got out and stated "I was on my porch and heard the squealing tires and thud, followed by a shot, and figured someone hit a deer. Can I have it?" We helped him load it into the bed of his truck, and he drove back home. My partner and I got a good chuckle out of it.
    Unfortunately, that's a no go in Texas which is stupid. Sadly, that deer would have been left for the coyotes to eat.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Growing up in Northwestern Montana, I have shot two of the three deer I had hit with my car in my teen years. I carried a little bolt action .22 in my car, and when I was in college a .45 Ruger semiauto. The last time, I called the highway patrol and they came and picked it up after I put it out of it's misery and took it to a needy family. I never thought about the repercussions or legalities, but then again the place is very rural.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    This is one of those discretion on behalf of the LEO needs to be exercised imo.

Probably technically unlawful in most jurisdictions but, meh. It’s the right thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, do the right thing, just don't get caught doing it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast