Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it legal to shoot a deer that got hit by a car ?

Feedback Score
    It is illegal in my state to shoot them also, you need to call the DNR and wait until they show up.
    If you were to drive over its head to end their pain I doubt that would cause any problems. It would look like damage from the vehicle deer collision.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    In Idaho, only LEOs are allowed to dispatch disabled game animals. Check your local regs

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    In FL you would get hemmed up for shooting a wounded deer.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    That’s a state by state by town by county by cop by cop call. Far too many variables and far too risky.
    Now if it’s a skinny, whole nuther enchilada.
    PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 10-17-19 at 12:50.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    In Va, you're suppose to report hitting a deer to law enforcement, whether it be the local law enforcement, state police or game wardens. They will give you a form to turn in if you need to file an insurance claim. I never really got a straight answer from the game wardens concerning shooting an injured deer. While it is the right thing to do, It is really up to LEOs to decide if it was injured to the point of requiring it to be put down. I can see a bad situation if you put one down and then the game warden shows up and deems it wasn't necessary. Then your faced with fines, losing hunting privileges, etc...

We had a situation where there was a deer at my buddy's cabin that was clearly attacked by a mountain lion or linx... that DNR says doesn't exist here. It's hind quarters and back were literally shredded. He started to put it down, but decided against it because the law was so sketchy about doing it. A few minutes later, the game wardens showed up. They were called by the neighbor farmer who saw the deer earlier. They put it down. They told us that if something like that happened again, to call DNR and report what happened and ask them if we could put it out of it's misery, but to make sure to get the name of the person you talk to though in case. So in the end, best thing to protect your a@@, unfortunately for the deer, is to report it and let LEOs handle it.
    Last edited by teufelhund1918; 10-18-19 at 09:49.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I do feel bad for them but I'll keep driving without stopping to listen to it grunt. I'm not playing games with discharging my firearm. I have it for self defense and the deer isn't attacking me
    That's a little harsh, don't you think ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .223Pound View Post
    That's a little harsh, don't you think ?
    Whats harsh? Driving past the deer? What do you want me to do?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Whats harsh? Driving past the deer? What do you want me to do?
    Laws here and there flying around, These animal were given to us by God and i have mainly read about laws here but not much speak about taking up off its misery like you should. IMO a positive moral compass of getting the deer of its pain is the right thing to do. waiting for some kinda authorization might take awhile and watching the deer suffer can be a drag. i have seen a situation were the deer died while the person in the car was trying to call the authorities.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Laws here and there flying around, These animal were given to us by God and i have mainly read about laws here but not much speak about taking up off its misery like you should. IMO a positive moral compass of getting the deer of its pain is the right thing to do. waiting for some kinda authorization might take awhile and watching the deer suffer can be a drag. i have seen a situation were the deer died while the person in the car was trying to call the authorities.
    So what do you want me to do? Tell the cops don't worry about the law cause I'm invoking God! You know why you've only read about laws? Because no one wants to break the law and having to hire a lawyer and potentially loose your right over a deer.

Here's what Penn Game Commission has to say about it.

It is not legal to kill “put it out of its misery” any
    injured wildlife; again, call the region office.

a start of what you could get popped with: Road hunting, poaching, hunting out of season, unlawful discharge of a firearm(municipal laws apply), shooting across roads, etc..
    Last edited by Arik; 10-18-19 at 11:08.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would like to know if there are any rules applied to this scenario, have in mind that getting the animal off its mystery is also a priority(at least to me, watching it shake and grunt wouldn't be fun).

Appreciate all info.
    In what state do you live?
    Train 2 Win

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast