Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fine Tuning New Build?

Feedback Score

Fine Tuning New Build?

Hey all! I recently got my new build running. Ran into some problems with it due to me wanting a fixed F-marked FSB and realizing a little too late (after I had a gunsmith drill and pin it) that the one I got was significantly canted. But, aside from that it runs real nice, every trigger pull the recoil is exactly the same with minimal muzzle rise and all of the recoil going in a straight line to my shoulder, I've never touched a rifle so consistent. But, after my last trip to the range I noticed that all my shell casings were landing a bit further to the rear than I'd like (somewhere between 4 and 5 oclock). I've ran about 400 rounds through it with absolutely zero malfunctions, would you guys suggest changing the buffer set up or sticking with what I have since it is running extremely well?

Heres my build:

Aero A4E1 Upper and Lower
    Aero LPK
    YHM Diamond 12" Freefloat
    Ballistic Advantage 20" HBAR
    F-marked FSB (useless as a sight but gasblock functions so Im probably just going to dremel it down to just be a gasblock with bayonet lug)
    Vortex 1-6x Strike Eagle
    Milspec Auto BCG (cant for the life of me remember what brand)
    Magpul UBR 2.0
    A5 Buffer

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docdubz View Post
    and realizing a little too late (after I had a gunsmith drill and pin it) that the one I got was significantly canted.
    How can the FSB be canted? It's usually pinned incorrectly (off of top dead center) for that to be an issue. I've never seen an FSB that had a cant to it in itself.

Although hindsight at this point, it's always best to buy a factory pinned FSB barrel because the jig and machinery to do this correctly are cost prohibitive for a small gunsmith.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    edit: double post
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    edit: double post
    ^^That.

I’d be less concerned about brass landing at 4 o’clock (if function is 100%) than a canted FSB.
    In fact, that would fall outside of “fine tuning” for me.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    If its running, I wouldnt worry about where the brass lands

Feedback Score
    First thing I would do is address the FSB installation issue. I can't stand that sort of weke sauce.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ejection pattern is not a reliable method for tuning an AR.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    How can the FSB be canted? It's usually pinned incorrectly (off of top dead center) for that to be an issue. I've never seen an FSB that had a cant to it in itself.

Although hindsight at this point, it's always best to buy a factory pinned FSB barrel because the jig and machinery to do this correctly are cost prohibitive for a small gunsmith.
    At first I thought it was the gunsmith and really had it out with him for "doing a crap job". But, he mounted it as perfectly as he could have, what he should have done was notice how defective the friggin FSB was somewhere along the process of installing it. The sight itself is good, the post lines up as it should, but the actual body of the FSB, going from the part the gets pinned to the barrel up to the sights (the "neck" of the fsb) is off by a substantial amount but in a way that is really hard to notice. So, Im just going to dremel it down so that its only a gasblock and go with buis since the scope I put on it is pretty nice.

I was more wondering about the pattern the shells were ejecting in because some of the lads at the range were saying I should get a heavier buffer but its running very well so I was leaning towards not fixing what aint broken.

Feedback Score
    edit: posted twice

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Ejection pattern is not a reliable method for tuning an AR.
    True. But taken in context of the overall performance, it can be a symptom to note.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast