Thread: CAR-15 Commando Infatuation and my Pseudo-Clone GAU5/A/A

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

CAR-15 Commando Infatuation and my Pseudo-Clone GAU5/A/A

I’ve had a thing for the CAR-15 Commando for over 35 years. It mostly started with military histories/biographies like The Raid & Delta Force alongside epic pulp fiction series like Mack Bolan, Phoenix Force & Able Team. Throw in some second hand issues of Soldier of Fortune and I was hooked on the Commando well before I ever got to see one on VHS in the opening scene of The Dogs of War. In my adolescent option, the CAR-15 was flat out cool.

As retro rifles started to gain popularity I didn’t pay a whole lot of attention, until I got the The Vickers AR-15 Guide. That started my appreciation of the the history of the platform. The Vickers Guide coupled with a seeing a 601 with green furniture and a GAU5/A/A durning visit to the USAF Museum I started on my current retro journey. My plan was to build clones 2 USAF rifles a 601 and a GAU-5. With my 601 build complete earlier this year, I began my research for a GAU-5 build. Long story short, I ended up purchasing a complete Troy GAU-5/A/A this Spring in lieu of a build.

My concept for the GAU-5 was to source a Single Point OEG for the GAU-5 and keep it as more of pure clone and safe queen than a regular shooter. When I picked up the rifle from my FFL I was impressed with it’s fit/finish and attention to detail. I know that ins and outs of the Troy retros have be covered before, so I’ll skip that stuff, but I was surprised to find that it had M4 feed ramps and 1/7 twist barrel vs the 1/12 that Troy listed on their website. At the range it was very pleasant to shoot. It didn’t seem over-gassed and I didn’t experience any brass to the face, which was a concern as a lefty shooting an A1 style upper. It was just plan fun to shoot.

Shooting the GAU-5 rekindled my infatuation with the CAR-15. It got me thinking that this was going to be more of a regular shooter than I was originally planning. About this time Ken Hackathorn dropped the video on his Colt XM177E2. Trijicon TA44 1.5x on a retro rifle? I was so intrigued with that concept I picked one up. I’ve got to say that the TA44 on the GAU-5 is a fantastic pairing. Adding in an LMT 2 stage trigger I had in my parts bin, my GAU-5 is light weight, simple and currently my favorite rifle to shoot. While not a faithful clone, I’m extremely happy with this set up.

Last edited by Korgs130; 10-16-19 at 11:32.