Thread: 1-4x Handgun Scope?

Feedback Score

1-4x Handgun Scope?

OK, stupid question...

Why doesn't anybody make a 1-4x long-eye-relief handgun scope? (Or why can't I find one?)

Backstory: I'm about to buy a S&W 610 (because it's cool...). The other day there was a guy at my local range ringing the steel gong at 100yds over and over with a 625. (This was especially humiliating for all the guys trying and failing to sight in their deer rifles.)

I know there are lots of 2-7x and 2.5-8x handgun scopes, but I don't need 7x or 8x at the high end, and I'd rather have 1x at the low end.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    My opinion, 1x and 2x aren't much of an improvement over irons on a handgun. I have the Bushnell 2-6 on my .454 Casull and find my self on 4x most of the time. If I were to buy again, I would go with the Leupold fixed 4x.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    My opinion, 1x and 2x aren't much of an improvement over irons on a handgun. I have the Bushnell 2-6 on my .454 Casull and find my self on 4x most of the time. If I were to buy again, I would go with the Leupold fixed 4x.
    I agree with Gunner. I had a 2X on a 629 hog pistol and took it off. Offhand shooting with the crosshairs dancing around isn't exactly a confidence builder. If you need magnification you will probably be shooting off of a rest.

Feedback Score
    I think that you are on the right track with looking for a 1-4x scope. For strictly SHTF, a non magnified red dot or reflex would be better, but for hunting a scope is advantageous. A 1-4x scope with a retical designed for both might be a good compromise. I'm just in the research stage myself (never really considered a scope for my AR until now), but I'm looking hard at the Leatherwood CMR and the GRSC 1-4X. I'll probably still go with an Eotech, but I don't use my AR for hunting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    My opinion, 1x and 2x aren't much of an improvement over irons on a handgun... If I were to buy again, I would go with the Leupold fixed 4x.
    I hear you...

Mounting a scope would mean removing the rear sight, so I like the idea of having a 1x option for close/fast shooting.

I like that Leupold, too, but it costs more than double the Nikon 2x20! This would be a "fun" project for <$300 (including mount and rings), but I don't think I would do it at $500+.

Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I agree with Gunner. I had a 2X on a 629 hog pistol and took it off. Offhand shooting with the crosshairs dancing around isn't exactly a confidence builder. If you need magnification you will probably be shooting off of a rest.
    Amen... Hence, it seems like a 1-4x would be ideal. Turn it down to 1x to shoot offhand, and crank it up to 4x to shoot off a rest.

Quote Originally Posted by .223Pound View Post
    ... a non magnified red dot or reflex would be better...
    Mini red dots seem to be driving handgun scopes out of the market.

I did think of using something like an Aimpoint H-2/T-2 with a swing-out 3x or 4x magnifier, but then the price is no longer "fun."

Sigh...

Feedback Score
    The problem with a potential 1-4 is shooters themselves. Once you give them that, they will want a lighter 1-8 option with daylight bright BDC reticles

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerguns View Post
    The problem with a potential 1-4 is shooters themselves. Once you give them that, they will want a lighter 1-8 option with daylight bright BDC reticles

Yeah, but there's still going to be a lot of guys like me who don't want to pay more than $400 for a scope...