Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New K98

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My New K98

A very good friend of mine gave me this K98 last week. It is a byf 43. When he gave it to me it had a scope mounted in the rear site base. I removed that scope and I am now waiting for him to locate the scope box because it has the original spring, pin and site bar that was removed to mount the scope. All numbers seem to match except the bolt. The bolt is matching to itself but not the rifle. The cleaning rod is broken. The bore is mint.

My buddy put a Post War Yugo Sling on it. I may look for an original sling and a mint K98 Bayonet.

My friend is 64 years old and he got this rifle from a vet back in his 20s. It was a bring back by the vet.

Here it is:

Last edited by md66948; 10-19-19 at 07:00.

Feedback Score
    I am no K98 expert, but this looks good.

Just yesterday I was looking at a number of WWII bringback K98s in our state military museum. One guy had donated a K98 and a G43 that had what appeared to be unfinished stocks. The documents said they were made in the original factory but assembled after the war, which I assume should have been in Bavaria or the Czech area. They also had a shiny buttpad like your new K98.

My bringback is a 40. Nothing is shiny on it, including the bitter pad.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    They also had a shiny buttpad like your new K98.

My bringback is a 40. Nothing is shiny on it, including the bitter pad.
    If you’re referring to the cupped/wraparound buttplate, it was added at some point in production (don’t remember the specific year) to provide better protection for the stock. Forgotten Weapons has a good video on different production year rifles.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice to have friends like that .

Feedback Score
    K98k.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Nice K98k! If you didnt already know, byf is the code for the Mauser factory in Oberndorf.

These stamped buttplates left the factory unfinished/in the white along with the stock take down disk and some other stock fittings depending on who and when. If you unscrew and remove the buttplate they often have a coat of primer and an ink stamped waffen amt inside the cup.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Very nice OP! I have a BNZ '43 and it shoots very well, grab some ammo for that bad boy and give it a try!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    If you’re referring to the cupped/wraparound butt plate, it was added at some point in production (don’t remember the specific year) to provide better protection for the stock. Forgotten Weapons has a good video on different production year rifles.
    The Cup Butt Plates were used on the Laminated Stocks. The cupping around the end of the stock would stop the stock from de-laminating.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have been wanting a K98K from the Mauser factory. I admittedly have not been looking very hard but this may change that after the new year. Need to stop my procrastinating.

OP, very nice rifle!
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I have been wanting a K98K from the Mauser factory. I admittedly have not been looking very hard but this may change that after the new year. Need to stop my procrastinating.

OP, very nice rifle!
    I say go for it! They're not getting any cheaper and man are they a blast! My LGS has a yugo K98 with the later stock, I wouldn't hate getting it to hang out with my german rifle. I'd almost attempt on mounting a zeiss scope to the yugo if it shoots nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast