Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Non-LEO SD and running out of bullets ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I have mixed emotions on this subject, having been in an off duty shooting where me and a friend had the bad luck of being ambushed by a neighborhood hell bent on murdering us and I went through 14 or 17 I honestly don't remember the exact number of 32 round Uzi mags I took with my that night.

While on the other hand in my time as a cop in the USA, I responded to shootings where civilians defended themselves against criminals and don't ever remember anyone ever running out of ammo.

I think we need to divide the threats that people face in the USA into traditional criminal and then the rise of active shooters.

I am not a fan of revolvers for self defense, in this age of great semi auto pistols. My Glock 26 with a plus 2 mag basically fills the same foot print as a J frame snubby but with so many more rounds.

Having said that I saw so many times when the good person just presented a firearm and the bad guy(s) ran away.

I always carry my pistol with one spare mag, I just did a road trip in the USA and carried my CZ P07 with a 19 round mag in it and a 21 round mag in my pocket.

In an active shooter your training, background and number of rounds you have on you can dictate how you should respond . Less ammo, training and background, more find a hole and survive. More ammo, training and background go hunting.
    Yes, we must understand ourselves and our weapons. That includes knowing what the weapon can and cannot do.

That being said, a revolver will still solve most problems a gun can for the typical person not looking for trouble.
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-26-19 at 21:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Kinda surprised.

We don't have a story of a pizza man or a guy walking with his woman or off-duty cop getting robbed or road raged and running their revolver or LCP or Sheild empty and the fight not being over? How about a home-owner running out of ammo and needing more?

Maybe some of those clips of gunfights from South America?
    Why is that a surprise? Most cops go their whole carries without drawing their gun, and they get called to bad situations. Why would civilian be any different

I've carried every day since 2001 and have never been in a situation where I even though I may need to at least think about putting my hand on the gun and I work in some shithole areas
    Last edited by Arik; 10-26-19 at 21:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    When I used to carry a G19 and an extra mag or two I did regret it because I got tired of the weight. But I know you meant once you actually need it.

I easily feel the difference between carrying a 40 oz gun, 31 oz gun (G19) , 27 oz gun, or a 19 oz gun. Every little bit counts for me. Including reload weight.

Gotta carry a reload or two. And / or 2nd gun.
    As long as the load is balanced, it's comfortable for me.

Feedback Score
    First off, I'm glad to see Greg Ellifritz come up here. He is good people.

I know the OP said non-LEO, but while i have not heard of anyone running dry here, i did see a video from Brazil in which an off-duty LEO ran dry, was not carrying any spares, and took the pistol off one of the robbers he had just wounded to shoot at the 2nd robber. The off-duty guy had also been wounded in the leg during the fight.

If i find the video, I'll post it here

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Reminds me of this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ing-a-good-guy

Not sure if he ever did find any documented cases

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Harry Beckwith, numerous reloads although likely due to not really trying to kill his opponents.

http://www.afn.org/~guns/ayoob.html
    Harry was quite a character. I lost count of how many Luger collections he had go through his shop. His old shop is still in business but it has change a little and the wall surrounding the door still had the poch marks from the bullet impacts.

Always great to the local law enforcement. He had a law away program that was great. You took the item home and paid on time.

Dan
    Support your local Deputy.

It is better to sweat in Training than Bleed in Battle.

www.usnst.org

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by agr1279 View Post
    He had a law away program that was great. You took the item home and paid on time.

Dan
    That's cool

I used to buy cast bullets off a fellow from Alabama that set up at KY gun shows who (per a buddy of mine who has been a customer longer) at one point did mail order by shipping the order and telling the customer to send him a check back for the cost of the bullets plus whatever the shipping cost was on the box. He said in 20 years he had only had 1 person stiff him.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123