Thread: My first build: Aero/Faxon AR10

Feedback Score

My first build: Aero/Faxon AR10

Just completed my first AR10 build, and first complete build in general. I may leave something out, but off the top of my head, parts are:

Faxon 18” heavy match barrel
    JP adjustable GB
    VG6 Gamma brake
    Aero M5 upper and lower
    Aero enhanced 12” Gen2 keymod Handguard (thought I had selected MLok, but oh well, everything else I own is keymod and have never had an issue)
    Aero enhanced style barrel nut
    Harris swivel bipod
    ToolCraft Nickel boron BCG
    Radian Raptor-LT charging handle
    BCM/Schmid Tool FCG
    JP Silent Capture buffer assembly
    BCM buffer tube assembly
    Strike forward assist
    CMMG dust cover
    Magpul MOE grip
    Magpul PRS stock
    Vickers sling.

I stuck the Aimpoint on it for test firing, but plan on getting a Nikon FX1000 for it (it’s primarily going to be for hunting) and will get some backup iron sights for it as well. I’m also using an Aero bolt catch right now. After buying it, I read several reports of issues with them breaking often, so I’ll be replacing it with a DPMS bolt catch.

I have to admit, I was a bit nervous shooting my first build, especially a 308/7.62.lol Only got to put 40 rounds through it, but man was it a hell of a lot of fun. Ran flawlessly after one adjustment to the gas block (I had forgot to open it up). Very little felt recoil, which I was actually expecting it to have some kick. This very well may end up becoming one of my favorite rifles. Obviously it’s a bit heavy, but definitely manageable, especially for hunting.

Overall cost not including the Aimpoint was right around $1,850 (shipping, tax, and FFL fee included). Not the cheapest rifle I own lol, but I only plan on owning one “long range” rifle due to the mountainous/hilly terrain where I live, so I wanted something nice and reliable.

Last edited by Monkeydo; 10-18-19 at 17:45.

Feedback Score
    Looks good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you bang out some groups let us know how it does.

You built it means you'll probably love it.

Feedback Score

SWEET AERO/FAXON M5

Yo Monkeydo >>>-------> Sweet JOB with Your AR10!

Plus 1, with 6933 on GROUPS!....?

pEACE
    The lessons that we learn are written the tomb stones of others. -Reid Henrichs

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    If you bang out some groups let us know how it does.

You built it means you'll probably love it.

Please do, I’ve been curious about that barrel. I’m a barrel snob but for some reason I’m tempted to try that barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeydo View Post
    Just completed my first AR10 build, and first complete build in general. I may leave something out, but off the top of my head, parts are:

Faxon 18” heavy match barrel
    @Monkeydo

Being that it's a Faxon AR-10 barrel, presume that's the rifle-gas barrel, just wondering, did you use an AR-15 rifle-gas tube, or an Armalite AR-10 rifle gas tube.

nice build.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpoL98 View Post
    @Monkeydo

Being that it's a Faxon AR-10 barrel, presume that's the rifle-gas barrel, just wondering, did you use an AR-15 rifle-gas tube, or an Armalite AR-10 rifle gas tube.

nice build.
    Thanks man! Yes, rifle length gas system with a standard rifle length gas tube.

Sorry I haven’t responded to the other comments. I’ve been busy with work and getting the house ready for our second daughter who graced us with her presence on the 17th I’ve also been on a 14.5” Socom kick lately lol I’ll post my two recent builds once I get a little more time this week.

I’ve shot quite a bit of bulk Aguila 7.62 through it, but haven’t had a chance to see how well it can group with decent ammo. I was getting around 2.5 with the Aguila. Nothing to write home about, but I wasn’t shooting fully supported, so could probably do better. Since then, it’s also gotten the Geissele National Match trigger and the Primary Arms 3-18x50mm FFP ACSS-HUD-DMR-308 scope. Here’s some recent photos.

Last edited by Monkeydo; 01-27-20 at 18:09.