Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finger Grooves Help Eliminate that Crappy Grip -- Article by Jeff Gonzales

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My experience with finger grooves is; they are never located where my fingers need to be.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I never liked the finger grooves on my gen 3 Glocks. I removed them and haven’t looked back since. I’ve also done the trigger guard undercut and added mag wells which help raise my hand higher on the grip.
    This works for me, but might not be everyone’s cup of tea.
    RLTW
    Danger Close Knows No Atheists.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    While I respect the authors point of view in this matter, he should also concede that finger grooves may work for him, but that doesn't mean they work for everyone, especially in a mass produced platform, that isn't custom fitted for each shooter.

TXPO
    Cerified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer
    NRA/LE Firearms Instructor
    ColdBoreCustom.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by STAFF View Post

The Top Priority
    Using the finger grooves actually helps lower your grip, which allows you to have a better angle to the trigger. An angle where there is no part of your trigger finger contacting the frame. This allows you to have the most genuine trigger management possible. What I discovered was I kept getting inconsistent grips with my G43. It was very frustrating and I could not quite put my "finger" on why. It wasn't until I did a side by side comparison with my G30, which does have finger grooves, that I figured it out. I have tried several methods to help achieve a more consistent grip, but in the end I am getting one that just isn't as good as the grip I get with a pistol that has finger grooves.
    There is good in finger grooves. More points of contact are a benefit that helps create greater consistency.
    There is not much room around here when debating SME's.. but here it goes anyway. Lowering your grip is just about the polar opposite of what every instructor I have used teaches. I get where Mr. Gonzales is coming from, as a super high grip on a Glock can cause trigger finger entry into the trigger guard to be troublesome for some folks, but not all.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^ (:

So much for undercutting trigger guard.
    Jeez.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Absolutely my thought on that. Anything that lowers my grip is bad, I've always been taught the higher the grip the better for controllability.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    There is not much room around here when debating SME's.. but here it goes anyway. Lowering your grip is just about the polar opposite of what every instructor I have used teaches. I get where Mr. Gonzales is coming from, as a super high grip on a Glock can cause trigger finger entry into the trigger guard to be troublesome for some folks, but not all.
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Absolutely my thought on that. Anything that lowers my grip is bad, I've always been taught the higher the grip the better for controllability.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    ^^ (:

So much for undercutting trigger guard.
    Jeez.
    Just did some draw and dry fire practice with my Carry Optics gun. Interestingly, finger grooves on the 19.4 with medium beavertail backstrap forces my grip so high, I almost NEED an undercut. So I find the grooves to be beneficial, especially if combined with a small magwell. Are you guys shooting 17s, or are my hands really that unusual?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Perhaps you are just the lucky individual that the grooves location was designed for.

Feedback Score
    I never had an issue with finger grooves and they seem to fit my hand on every gun I've used. I have pachmyr grips on my Colt Defender and the A2 never bothered me. So maybe I'm an oddball too. In theory I have that magic hand geometry, I should like the Gen 4 better, but for me Gen 5 is better than the Gen 4 in every way. Timed.

I am using 19.5 with medium back strap and 19x with no backstrap. Its not about feel or comfort, it's about finding the best solution. I like the feel of no backstrap best, but medium works better. Glocks are cheap, reliable, and easy to work on. Custom work is generally cheap and the guns generally maintain their reliability so long as you're not dicking with triggers . It's a free country so pick your poison and shoot the crap out of it to find what works.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Just did some draw and dry fire practice with my Carry Optics gun. Interestingly, finger grooves on the 19.4 with medium beavertail backstrap forces my grip so high, I almost NEED an undercut. So I find the grooves to be beneficial, especially if combined with a small magwell. Are you guys shooting 17s, or are my hands really that unusual?
    He specifically said in his piece that it puts your hand lower and that was a good thing. That's what I'm debating. I am sure that there are many folks that fit the grooves.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast