Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finger Grooves Help Eliminate that Crappy Grip -- Article by Jeff Gonzales

Feedback Score

Post Finger Grooves Help Eliminate that Crappy Grip -- Article by Jeff Gonzales

Have you ever reached for your concealed pistol and realize you got a crappy grip? Have you taken a closer look as to why you got that crappy grip?

So Want to Like It
    I have been working with the new mini-9mm from Glock, and I really want to like it. It shoots just like any other 9mm Glock only in a smaller package—big surprise there. I am not a fan of the Gen 4 product line, as I haven't really seen a reason to replace the Gen 3. I had no choice but to go with it for the Glock 43, and to say I am disappointed would be an understatement. Aside from some smaller issues, the biggest issue which keeps this a good gun versus a great gun for me is the omission of the finger grooves on the pistol's frame.

Ingredients to a Good Firing Grip
    I heard comments on how it's not a big deal. Maybe. But let's look at what makes for a good firing grip: consistency and power. You need the grip to be as consistent as possible. Consistency will lead to accuracy and accuracy is nothing more than being consistent. We will focus on consistency for this article. How many times did you get a crappy grip in the holster only to have it get crappier as you draw to the target? Things don't usually get better when you pick up the speed; it usually makes things worse. One benefit to finger grooves is the ability to grip the gun consistently.

Memory and Consistency
    I know there are some huge hands out there and literally some do not fit on any gun, much less a sub-compact pistol. One option finger grooves will do hard to do with other grip styles is drive the fingers to a consistent grip. They give you an excellent tactile register. Even if your hands don't fit or barely fit, they interface with the landscape and create memory. The memory is what helps you to be consistent, you get accustomed to feeling the grooves on certain parts of your hand and fingers. Can you do it without the finger grooves? Yes. The difference is the finger grooves give you more contact points, and the more contact points you have the higher the probability of getting a consistent grip.

Good Old Fashion Resection
    It's kind of like using a resection in land navigation. When attempting to locate your position using a known position, the more known positions you use, the more accurate your plot. If you attempt to use just one known position, the accuracy is a bit sketchy. Without finger grooves, the only known position on the grip will probably be the underside of the trigger guard. Folks can use this and develop pretty good consistency. However, one of the problems we see is when they rely solely on this technique to achieve a solid firing grip the result is a firing grip that is too high. Their trigger finger has a terrible angle to the trigger and the flesh of their trigger finger makes contact with the frame, which creates errant shots.

The Top Priority
    Using the finger grooves actually helps lower your grip, which allows you to have a better angle to the trigger. An angle where there is no part of your trigger finger contacting the frame. This allows you to have the most genuine trigger management possible. What I discovered was I kept getting inconsistent grips with my G43. It was very frustrating and I could not quite put my "finger" on why. It wasn't until I did a side by side comparison with my G30, which does have finger grooves, that I figured it out. I have tried several methods to help achieve a more consistent grip, but in the end I am getting one that just isn't as good as the grip I get with a pistol that has finger grooves.
    There is good in finger grooves. More points of contact are a benefit that helps create greater consistency.

Jeff Gonzales
    Trident Concepts, LLC

Jeff Gonzales is a regular contributor to the M4C Newsletter and Forum. Not getting the newsletter? Click here.

Feedback Score
    To make a minor critique to the article, the "So I Want to Like It" section confused me a bit.
    -I don't know what model a "mini-9mm from Glock" is.

-I didn't quite understand the comment "I had no choice but to go with it for the Glock 43", as I don't know what "it" is and I don't consider a G43 a Gen4.

That's all. I like the idea of the finger grooves giving more contact points. This is something to consider from an instructor's point of view or somebody giving advice to a prospective new Glock owner.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Completely off topic, but I lol'ed:

If you attempt to use just one known position, the accuracy is a bit sketchy

Using resection to locate your position by using one point is beyond sketchy, it doesn't work.

Back on topic:

I find it pretty important to focus new shooters on keeping the fingers of both hands as close to horizontal as possible. Finger grooves may help in that respect.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    G43 is hard to get a grip on because it is small, not because grooves.

Trigger guard and tang area has provided adequate reference points for consistent grip to tens/ hundreds thousands of shooters that dont use guns with finger grooves at all.

Lowering the grip is a bad thing for muzzle return control.

This article falls squarely under "wtf" category for me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I may be totally off kilter here, but finger grooves come from target guns. Target guns are MADE for the shooter, aka the finger grooves fit the person holding the gun. Finger grooves designed to fit the hands of a guy with hands 2x the size of mine (given my dwarfish hands that’s about 90% of the population) dont do me any good. I actually shoot guns without finger grooves better.

I dont generally disagree with guys who know mire about shooting that I ever will, but in this I can speak from personal experience that grooves dint help me for squat.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Completely off topic, but I lol'ed:

If you attempt to use just one known position, the accuracy is a bit sketchy

Using resection to locate your position by using one point is beyond sketchy, it doesn't work.
    HA! There's a butter bar still wanderin' around in the woods that resembles that remark.

Finger grooves, I could take 'em or leave 'em. Prefer to leave 'em.

Don't believe they're anywhere near as usefull as he claims.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    To make a minor critique to the article, the "So I Want to Like It" section confused me a bit.
    -I don't know what model a "mini-9mm from Glock" is.

-I didn't quite understand the comment "I had no choice but to go with it for the Glock 43", as I don't know what "it" is and I don't consider a G43 a Gen4.

That's all. I like the idea of the finger grooves giving more contact points. This is something to consider from an instructor's point of view or somebody giving advice to a prospective new Glock owner.
    The 43 seems to be more of a 5th generation based on the trigger set up and no grooves.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    I may be totally off kilter here, but finger grooves come from target guns. Target guns are MADE for the shooter, aka the finger grooves fit the person holding the gun. Finger grooves designed to fit the hands of a guy with hands 2x the size of mine (given my dwarfish hands that’s about 90% of the population) dont do me any good. I actually shoot guns without finger grooves better.

I dont generally disagree with guys who know mire about shooting that I ever will, but in this I can speak from personal experience that grooves dint help me for squat.
    That has always been my experience as well.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Finger grooves on the Gen 4 G19 fit me pretty well, and much of what the article says is true, for me. I use a G19.4 in competition vs a full size, because my grip at the draw is very consistent and repeatable.

I realize that I’m a weirdo.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I think finger grooves can be good provided they are in just the right places for YOUR hand.

If they aren't can be annoying to the point you shoot worse.

The best bet is to have no finger grooves.

So I guess what might be most desirable is zero to three adjustable finger grooves. Maybe that's whats coming. Quick-change grip/frames with a dozen or more choices. Or custom grip frames. The grip frame can be molded to your hand like a custom shoe.
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-21-19 at 15:29.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast