Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Can’t decide on upper and need help

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Man you guy keep flipping me back and forth. One second I’m ready to check out with a 16” and then a new reply gets posted and I’m like well damn the 14.5 is the way to go.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Get the 14.5 w/13in handguard, pin the Votrex or WARCOMP onto it and don't look back.

Solved.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    It did to me. I'm 6' and while not a beast, I'm not a little bitch either. It just felt awkwardly long. The bigger difference to me isn't 1.5" at the muzzle, its two inches on the handguard. I don't like handguards that aren't extended all the way out, so I won't ever buy a 13 on a 16 gun, but the 15 handguard felt significantly longer and a bit heavier than the 13s I'm always used to. So 14.5 for me. Once you know what MD you want, pinning really isn't a big deal IMO.
    Thanks for the reply and feedback, both are much appreciated.
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Between the options in the OP, I would get the 14.5 MCMR upper with the P&W warcomp. I prefer 14.5" ARs over 16". When comparing 14.5 and 16 inch barrels I don't think that the 14.5 has much of a disadvantage at all. I also think 14.5 looks better (dumb I know, whatever).

Now if it were me I would build my own upper and throw a surefire closed tine warcomp on there and have a local smith do the P&W. I know that isnt an option in your post, but figured Id say it....Heres a pic because...guns...

Last edited by Bomba07; 10-20-19 at 04:19.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    ^^^ what about the Surefire brake? I’m hearing the Warcomp May drive the gun too far down which I don’t want. I know the comp would suck indoors but I could throw on a Warden for indoors.

Feedback Score
    I have both (a BCM 14.5" ELW and 16" BFH ELW). Both have the 13" rail. The 14.5" one has the A2X FH perm-attached. The weight difference between the two is not a factor (one ounce!), the biggest factor being that they are both the ELW profile.

If I had to choose between the two I would grab the 16", simply for the modicum of velocity advantage over the 14.5". It will translate into a slightly better ballistic advantage for a negligible weight increase. Secondarily, the ability to change things around without gunsmithing a pin/weld job is a plus. IMHO a suppressor on either a 14.5" or 16" barrel makes it musket-like so I'd save that for a 12.5" or less length barrel (just my opinion of course).

YMMV.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 10-20-19 at 18:10.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'd go with a 14.5 and a pinned SF brake/4prong/warcomp

That 14.5 will do it all while running a shorter hand guard to boot.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    ^^^ what about the Surefire brake? I’m hearing the Warcomp May drive the gun too far down which I don’t want. I know the comp would suck indoors but I could throw on a Warden for indoors.
    I don't have experience shooting the standard WarComp, but that was my impression with the closed tine variant. I think people like the standard more, so I'm not sure if that is a concern with that model. If you're leaning towards a comp, I'd get BCM's. Its not quite as comp-y as the Surefire but still works very well. The Surefire is going to rock some shit and as was said above, if you've never put a can on a 14.5/16, its not super fun. I like the notion of being able to, but honestly am not sure that I ever would again.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Double.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Standard Warcomp didn’t seem to drive down the barrel with my 12.5. Haven’t installed the closed time Warcomp on anything yet; however, it is designed to be ‘neutrally’ timed apparently, so all ports forcing downward. I may, if possible, adjust to be similar to my standard Warcomp. In other words, I may try to time it slightly up and to the right.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast