Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reliability to the max: best AR internal upgrades for superior cycling?

Feedback Score
    It's called a 6920 and spending the balance of what it would cost to "upgrade" on ammo. Ammo through the gun is reliability.

If you're building, and you're at the 14.5-16" range, get mid gas. Run an A5. Get a toolcraft BCG. The end.

Feedback Score
    Lol @ haters in this thread.

OP, If I were to put together an optimal 16” AR:

midlength barrel of proper gas port
    LMT enhanced bolt
    A5 buffer tube
    LMT mars lower.

Or a KAC upper on an LMT mars lower like someone else had said.
    Done.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    If we start with a 20" barrel, rifle gas, rifle receiver extension, rifle buffer weight... only one part would really be an improvement, and that would be the LMT E-bolt. Or the KAC E-bolt, if you got a KAC barrel extension. And I don't think that's going to give you an edge in reliability, so much as durability.

Everything else is pretty much intended to get full-auto carbines to run on par with full-auto rifles, and I'm not certain you'll see much benefit (possibly any benefit) in a semi-automatic carbine.

Maybe if you can test the dozens of hundreds of configurations across a couple dozen weapons with ten or twenty thousand rounds run through each, you might find something that pushes the carbine to be more reliable than others, but otherwise...

...it's just one dude tinkering with one (or a few) of their own personal rifles. Which is fine. But it's going to be a non-scientific test, statistically insignificant, the plural of anecdote isn't data, &c.

So, sure, maybe you'll be able to get a 14.5" barrel intermediate gas gun with some sort of E-BCG (SureFire, KAC, LMT, doesn't matter) and an A5 buffer system to run reliably and with great durability; But I feel reasonably certain that you would be unable to demonstrate that this hypothetical individual weapon is more reliable or durable than an LE6920 (or reasonable proxy), much less the Stoner-Sullivan Original™ AR-15/M16/C7 configuration.

So, yeah. An LMT E-bolt, if you have to. I don't think an H or an H2 buffer should even need to be mentioned.

(The above assumes the end-user wants a 5.56mm NATO rifle or carbine capable of running reliably a variety of ammunition types under a variety of field conditions, and is not trying to specialize the weapon for accuracy, multi-gun competition, 100% silenced/100% of the time, preservation of spent brass, preferred "recoil impulse," feel or any other specialized application(s).)

ETA: Probably the most, "optimized," fighting carbine that fits the above criteria - and actually has the testing to demonstrate it - would be a KAC SR-15/SR-16 upper on an LMT MARS lower. And the LMT MARS lower is just because the ambi bolt catch on the LMT is better than what the KACs come with. Just add the Geissele, KAC, LaRue trigger of your choice and done.
    Speaking about that. Would a 14.5 middy with an A5 run on with an LMT enhanced carrier? I remember someone on here swearing by it but doesn’t the E carrier lower pressures and delay unlocking? With a 14.5 middy already being light on the gas side of things, it seems like an LMT e carrier would just makes things less reliable and/or need hot 5.56 to run.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    Speaking about that. Would a 14.5 middy with an A5 run on with an LMT enhanced carrier? I remember someone on here swearing by it but doesn’t the E carrier lower pressures and delay unlocking? With a 14.5 middy already being light on the gas side of things, it seems like an LMT e carrier would just makes things less reliable and/or need hot 5.56 to run.
    The E carrier and the E bolt are two different animals despite the fact that they usually come as a pair.. The carrier is what delays unlocking; the bolt is just enhanced with lobster-tail extractor and "easier to clean" finish (the newer dull finish is not as easy to clean as the older gen "shinier" ones; I have both).
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just buy a complete KAC mod2 rifle and be done. Next contender is a LMT mrp mlok with e-carrier.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    From my understanding the A5 doesn't really negatively affect anything given the proper buffer is used. It's purported to "widen the envelope" of operation but I've only heard anecdotal evidence of this. The LMT E-carrier was designed to aid overgassed guns (suppressed mil spec carbines) and vents more gas in addition to delaying unlocking of the bolt. We're talking about gas drive here so not all 14.5 mid gas barrels are the same. BCM may have been a little underdriven and DD was overdriven at some point in time... Welcome to the wonderful world of non-standard components.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For my ultimate build [that I could reasonably afford that is..] I read and re-read many of the posts here and other places. I scoured the interwebz for the parts and choose them based on reputation first then price, waiting for sales to keep costs down. I wanted a mid-gas system but went with a Colt SOCOM barrel based on a reputation for accuracy and that the carbine gas is well proven. Also, Colt being Colt, I figured if I wanted one I better get it now since Colt was likely to stop making them or at least reduce production. I found a Colt BCG on sale so I got it but I was ready to go BCM. BCM upper receiver with a LMT Defender lower. My big Gucci part is the Geissele receiver extension with super 42 spring [H2 buffer]. Once again ready to go BCM but since there was a sale Geissele..
    The hardest use it's gotten was an all day 2 gun match is the rain, with 100% reliability. It was still pretty new when I tried some Wolf ammo and I think the stiff super 42 spring was a bit to much for it. I has since run Wolf reliably.
    Since I wasn't in a hurry I waited for big sales and I now have a bet your life rifle that is basic and durable. It uses standard components that are easily replaceable. I am on a mission now to get as many Magpul Gen 3 mags as possible within my budget.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BallisticHarmony View Post
    Right, unless you put a KAC barrel extension into your AR.

I’m mostly interested in further upgrading an SR-15, though. I know Knight’s only recommends using their own buffers, since their gas systems are tuned to them, but wouldn’t the whole Surefire OBC package minus the bolt reduce parts wear in an SR-15?
    How, exactly, does one put a KAC barrel extension into an AR?

Anyway, a RE-A5 +A5H2/H3 and standard rifle springs is all I've ever used (other than a standard carbine or rifle) with a quality BCG … In a statistically relative world I say it is as reliable as it can be.

If I wanted "moar" I'd just buy an E3 Mod2 and shoot the piss out if it.
    Last edited by PrivateCitizen; 10-21-19 at 11:02. Reason: words

The Private Citizen
    Liberty — Independence — Responsibility — Resolve

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    All you need is an LMT Enhanced bolt and an H buffer
    And perhaps an SSA-E trigger....

Feedback Score
    I like the question. It drives some folks to push boundaries, to expand knowledge, to create new stuff. This is how most inventions and innovations happen.
    As opposed to the "There is nothing left to be discovered" crowd.

Does it automatically guarantee something better? NO, but it should not stop us from trying.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast