Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How close to hear a bullet?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc3081 View Post
    A jerk off fired about 8 shots a me from 200 yards away. By the report I presume 22lr. I could very clearly hear the bullets as they flew past me.
    Pray tell.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For some reason, I always thought you'd hear / or maybe not hear a bullet whiz by close before you hear the "crack" of the round leaving the barrel.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    For some reason, I always thought you'd hear / or maybe not hear a bullet whiz by close before you hear the "crack" of the round leaving the barrel.
    Well, I guess that would depend on if the bullet was super Sonic or not

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    In my youth, I was hunting near a swamp, with my back against a very large tree. Before it was light, some crazy “hunter” started shooting in my direction & I remember hearing what would best be described as a “hiss” and simultaneous branches cracking & falling. Scared the crap out of me, because I could feel the big tree getting hit through my back, which was resting against the tree.

It didn’t sound like in the movies—Saving Private Ryan & Band of Brothers used more of a buzz, than hiss I experienced.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I don’t know it was a stranger. I was in a park and he was shooting from a apartment building.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My experience is that sub-sonic bullets (like pistols bullets) make a whizzing noise, and that super sonic bullets make a really loud, breaking the sound barrier crack. I used to shoot high power rifle and manned a target pit. The crack is very much loud enough to cause pain and ringing in the hear. So, I image that it can be heard at quite a distance, I just don't now that distance.

Maybe somebody has mentioned this in the past, but has anyone seen pistol bullet trails? Saw some 45 ACP bullet trails many years age. Didn't know what is was a first until I paid attention and figured it out...quite surprising.

Feedback Score
    Back in '98 or so I was standing outside this old warehouse. There was a concert being held there, some gangbangers drove by on the street and started shooting. One of the bullets was sounded like it was about three feet or so above me. It was more of a zip sound, zzziiiippp, as it flew over and hit the big widow behind me. About five shots in total. That was pretty scary.

Feedback Score
    I found this interesting. Well done with DB info.

https://www.guns.com/news/2018/11/29...ppressor-video

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I remember reading a thread years ago that dealt generally with some of these ideas. After some googling apparently the original thread no longer exists but a poster had saved the content which is now found in posts #10-15 in the link. Apologies for linking to another forum if that bothers anyone. I don't think the content is anywhere else.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...mp-Bang-method

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A couple years ago I fielded a complaint from a pair of fishermen that claimed they had bullets "falling all around them" when downrange from our 1000 yd range. I did an investigation by contacting the shooters on the line that day (luckily it was a class with good data) and was able to find out what caliber each shooter was using, bullet types and even FPS from that day since they were serious shooters. From that data I was able to calculate that if they shot over the berm from anywhere from 1" to 40' there was no way a bullet would have made it to the fishermen. In fact a miss by the extreme measure of 40' over the berm still would have the bullet landing on our range property. The instructors of the course, since they were logging data in a class, actually reported that zero rounds were unaccounted for on the day by spotters.

Next, I walked out to the creek, downrange of the berm, and had a trusted friend fire a 6.5CM into a target at the 1000 yd berm. I trusted my math and damned if it didn't sound like bullets were flying over my head, but every shot was a hit on the target and into the backstop berm. I was really surprised how much noise they made, even though I was well behind the berm downrange.

I reported my finding to the fishermen and they weren't buying it. Not much else I could do. I was satisfied we were being safe and there wasn't much else I could do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast