Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How close to hear a bullet?

Feedback Score
    I heard cracks over my head from a 300 win mad at 75 yards. Scared the crap out of me and i ducked behind the tree i was leaning on. Guy was shooting directly at me. He did not see me. And i did not see him till we met up after me shouting. I was scared shitless. First time that happened. Guy was nice about it tho. He could not have seen me from were we were shooting. And he missed the deer and i got it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You can always tell when someone is deliberately shooting at you by the amount of tree/bush debris falling down on your prone position.

Feedback Score
    I had a 45 acp round return past me from the berm and it made a fairly loud hum. It also scattered a bunch of golfers on the base golf course 100 yards behind me. I have no idea what they heard.

Feedback Score
    The best experience is to work the targets at a competition shoot. The high power bullets flying overhead is very eerie at first. But you will get used to it. Gives you a good feel for what a rifle battle might be like.

Feedback Score
    Working in the pits at a match allows you to learn both direction and proximity of rounds as they "crack." For example, have the targets to your right, left, or directly above your station been targeted? Sometimes it is hard to see the bullet hole in the black, but you learn to pull your target based solely on sound. Competitive shooters want their target pulled quickly and the spotter and scoring indicator put in place ASAP so they can continue shooting under similar wind conditions. Years ago I was shot at and the experience of working the pits way back then was a plus in determining where the shots came from, and how close they were to the right or left. After all, in the pits a shot in the 6 ring at 6 o'clock is only about 20 inches over your head.

A few years back I was disappointed to learn that my ARNG son had never worked the pits before he went to Afghanistan and had never heard incoming rounds. Consequently I took him to our club range, put him behind a 100 yd berm and fired past him to the 200 yd berm so he could hear the difference between types of rounds going past only a few feet away. I would not trust just any bozo in doing this sort of thing!

Feedback Score
    I do not have an answer to your exact question but I can tell you from experience that when a bunch of AK47 rounds start cracking around you they could be yards away but they all sound like they are all right next to your ear. I'm sure there are veterans on here that could verify this.

Feedback Score
    I had been camping, some 40 years ago, out down in a small valley when someone up on the hill above us 60 to 100 yards up it the tree line opened up on us with a .22 rifle. It sounded like some very mad bees flying past us with a loud ZZZZZZZZZZ sound and a pop pop pop pop from the top of the hill. There were three of us, so we crawled over to our truck then started honking the horn, but the fire kept on at full throttle. We broke out our Theee 22’s and returned fire. We stoped and our sniper had stopped. We went up the hill and saw no one and didn’t even see any signs of the assailant. It was kind of a weird deal that I have never forgot.
    Dog

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123