Thread: Grendel 100gr TTSX Factory Loads

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Grendel 100gr TTSX Factory Loads

I’m trying hard to avoid reloading, because its really not feasible for me right now.

I’ve landed on the idea that I’d like to try 100gr TTSX for hunting with my 12.5” Grendel, but I’m having a surprisingly hard time finding factory ammo. All I’ve found is “Precision Firearms” and “Hendershots Extreme Custom Ammo”. I’ve never heard of either. Does anyone have any experience with these, or know of another source? Perhaps there is a good reason nobody seems to be loading this projectile?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm thinking Alexander arms might have loaded that? Bill Alexander has mentioned in the past that 95 to 105 is the sweet spot.

I hunt with the hornaday 120/123s (SST?) that shoot to the same point of impact is the old Amaxes.

Works great.

Going one "weight" lighter with TTSX is normally a sweet spot. Typically ballistics and sectional density of the heavier bullet with the velocity of the lighter bullet.

So 100g TTSX should give similar penetration as the 120s conventional.

I have done this with 308, 708, and 280. (130g in 308, 120 in the 7s)
    Last edited by pinzgauer; 10-19-19 at 15:03.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    I'm thinking Alexander arms might have loaded that? Bill Alexander has mentioned in the past that 95 to 105 is the sweet spot.

I hunt with the hornaday 120/123s (SST?) that shoot to the same point of impact is the old Amaxes.

Works great.

Going one "weight" lighter with TTSX is normally a sweet spot. Typically ballistics and sectional density of the heavier bullet with the velocity of the lighter bullet.

So 100g TTSX should give similar penetration as the 120s conventional.

I have done this with 308, 708, and 280. (130g in 308, 120 in the 7s)
    Thanks for the reply. One weight lighter is usually my strategy with Barnes, also.

I’ve had good success with SST’s in the past with 7-08 and 308, but I would like to go all in on lead free for hunting, since I already use Barnes with 5.56 and 7-08. I actually shot some paper today with Hornady Black 123 ELD, and was impressed, group wise. Roughly MOA with 5 rnd groups, repeatably.

I think Alexander Arms used to load the 100 TTSX, but I don’t see it on their website anymore. Obviously, I would buy from them without hesitation.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm slowly doing the same. I don't feel compelled to go lead-free... But the Barnes bullets work so well there an attraction in their own right.

It doesn't hurt being led free either, my son is a falconer and being able to feed game scraps to them without worrying about lead is a big help. Even a tiny lead fragment can kill a raptor.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What kind of velocity would you expect to get from the 12.5 barrel? The TTSX bullet has a minimum expansion velocity threshold of around 2000 FPS and that is for a minimum level of expansion not full expansion. When I was loading 300 Blackout 6 years ago I found the 130 grain TTSX loaded to 2250 FPS delivered zero expansion when fired into wet pack at 100 yards. I later loaded the lower expansion threshold 110 grain TAC-X to 2450 and received good expansion and penetration in a similar test.
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 10-26-19 at 23:38.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    What kind of velocity would you expect to get from the 12.5 barrel? The TTSX bullet has a minimum expansion velocity threshold of around 2000 FPS and that is for a minimum level of expansion not full expansion. When I was loading 300 Blackout 6 years ago I found the 130 grain TTSX loaded to 2250 FPS delivered zero expansion when fired into wet pack at 100 yards. I later loaded the lower expansion threshold 110 grain TAC-X to 2450 and received good expansion and penetration in a similar test.
    I’m expecting around 2400fps, but 2450 seems plausible. I’m basing this on internet reports, so, who knows. This gun is meant to replace my levergun for close range, deep south hunting.

Edit: if seeking a minimal impact velocity of 2200fps, this looks like a 100yd load, according to Ballistic AE.

I’ve got other guns for longer range hunting use.
    Last edited by 1168; 10-27-19 at 08:40. Reason: Add