Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anderson Meltdown Analysis

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I don't view anything from IV88888888888888 as credible or valuable. The shills for Olight.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    The militarily officially recommends a fire rate of 12-15 rounds per minute in sustained fire situations.
    https://www.armystudyguide.com/conte...dy-guide.shtml

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    What does this prove?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Nothing. Army published its findings for barrel failure many years ago. So did Mark Westrom when he owned/ran Armalite. Once the barrel reaches a certain heat the steel structure is permanently changed and unsafe.

LINK: Fire to barrel failure
    Thanks for the posts.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The Army put the SOCOM barrel on Leg Army's M4s after they were told the Wanat (Afghanistan) action carbines failed due to the near cyclic rate of fire soldiers used to prevent being overrun by the massive shoulder-to-shoulder, in-depth human wave attacks the Taliban made [insert sarcastic smirk here].

Standard Army carbines at the time had three-round burst trigger groups. If the soldiers were going near cyclic and actually aiming at visible targets the action must have been terrible (and the Hajji body piles must have been high and deep).

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The Army put the SOCOM barrel on Leg Army's M4s after they were told the Wanat (Afghanistan) action carbines failed due to the near cyclic rate of fire soldiers used to prevent being overrun by the massive shoulder-to-shoulder, in-depth human wave attacks the Taliban made [insert sarcastic smirk here].

Standard Army carbines at the time had three-round burst trigger groups. If the soldiers were going near cyclic and actually aiming at visible targets the action must have been terrible (and the Hajji body piles must have been high and deep).
    I suspect that the real reason big army got “SOCOM” profile barrels and auto triggers has just as much to do with logistics as it does capability. I also suspect you know more than I do on this topic. Any insight?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    In 2005 I formally recommended to the Infantry Directorate for Combat Developments (Small Arms) to improve the M4 for Marksmen would only take 1) replace the standard barrel with the SOCOM barrel; 2) swap the burst guts for the A1 fire control group (to improve the trigger -- they weren't going to buy Geissele Super Select Fire triggers ); and 3) free-float it. ACOGs were already in the system.

Ah, well. 66% is MUCH better than nothing. A Joe can buy his own Daniel Defense Omega 7.0 and not permanently modify the weapon.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thumbs up

In 2005 I formally recommended to the Infantry Directorate for Combat Developments (Small Arms) to improve the M4 for Marksmen would only take 1) replace the standard barrel with the SOCOM barrel; 2) swap the burst guts for the A1 fire control group (to improve the trigger -- they weren't going to buy Geissele Super Select Fire triggers ); and 3) free-float it. ACOGs were already in the system.

Ah, well. 66% is MUCH better than nothing. A Joe can buy his own Daniel Defense Omega 7.0 and not permanently modify the weapon.
    Thank you for the excellent, inside info.
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    800-900 rounds
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Why was the the burst trigger ever a thing to begin with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Why was the the burst trigger ever a thing to begin with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To reduce ammo waste. The amount of ammo used per kill in was substantially higher than previous wars, so a 3 round burst reduces the amount of rounds per pull and makes the shooter think. Or so that's what I was told 20 or so years ago.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chef8489 View Post
    To reduce ammo waste. The amount of ammo used per kill in was substantially higher than previous wars, so a 3 round burst reduces the amount of rounds per pull and makes the shooter think. Or so that's what I was told 20 or so years ago.
    Spot on. in addition, conventional wisdom was that after the first three rounds fired on Full Auto the sights were not on the target anymore and any remaining round fired were wasted.

In my experience, the three burst trigger mechanism resulted in a poor and unpredictable semi auto trigger.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast