Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer heart membrane question

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Deer heart membrane question

I followed online written and video instructions on trimming off arteries, fat, and any white connective tissue, but noticed there was still a thin clear membrane over the meat. Didn't see it mentioned in the how it's, but trimmed it off anyway due to experience with silver membrane on other muscles. Not a huge loss of meat with the extra trim, but was that step even necessary?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I followed online written and video instructions on trimming off arteries, fat, and any white connective tissue, but noticed there was still a thin clear membrane over the meat. Didn't see it mentioned in the how it's, but trimmed it off anyway due to experience with silver membrane on other muscles. Not a huge loss of meat with the extra trim, but was that step even necessary?
    No, I never trim the membrane. I just trim off the arteries and fat, slice thin, roll in flour and salt and pepper. Fry to golden brown and you have yourself a great meal.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    No, I never trim the membrane. I just trim off the arteries and fat, slice thin, roll in flour and salt and pepper. Fry to golden brown and you have yourself a great meal.
    Thank you! It does look like a really good cut of meat.

Feedback Score
    I always toss mine. Never cared for it

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've never been able to try heart, although I would like to. My shots hit the lungs/heart and there is usually nothing is left. Are you taking head/neck shots?

Feedback Score
    I have done double lung shots and have missed the heart some how. Happened a few times. Infact only time i remember destroying the heart was when i tired a 5.56 round. Heart and lungs were liquid. VERY impressed with how that round work.

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I use a 80 gr 243 ballistic tip and my buddy uses a 270 with a ballistic tip. Turns the hearts to jelly. Getting ready to go up this weekend for some bow hunting. Maybe I can salvage the heart and give it a try on the grill with a little smoke and spice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This one wasn't mine, just called dibs on the heart since they were going to pitch it.

My .223 deer hunting has been more neck hits vs. heart/lung.

Do recall a heart hit with a .308 Winchester Gameking that a nickel would have fell through, but the rest of it would have been fine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    ^^^ Exactly how I do it. Best chicken fried steak you'll eat. I do soak mine in iced salted water, changing it out every so often until all blood is gone. Not a lot of salt, just some.

I've also double lunged a couple and missed the heart completely. .375 Winchester drops them in their tracks usually. Cool it down quickly, soak, trim and there's no liver or blood taste at all.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have tried cow heart and found it to be delicious. However, when I asked my experienced hunting friends about deer heart, they felt that organ meat of wild game wasn’t very safe due to risk of parasitic infection. Is this fear unfounded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast