Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 350 LEGEND

Feedback Score

350 LEGEND

Does anyone else have an AR-15 in 350 LEGEND?

Feedback Score
    Have been looking at one for the past two weeks. Sitting here staring at it debating on whether to pull the trigger.

Ruger 556 350 Legend

Can't come up with any reasons why not, also can't come up with many reasons for doing it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mcurrier View Post
    Have been looking at one for the past two weeks. Sitting here staring at it debating on whether to pull the trigger.

Ruger 556 350 Legend

Can't come up with any reasons why not, also can't come up with many reasons for doing it.
    I bought an upper for several reasons: the ball ammo is available from Bud,s for about $8.20 a box; it hits harder than a 5.56; I believed I could make useful hits out to 250-300 yards, it should make a great deer, hog, and self/home defense rifle out to 250 yards; The FMJ component bullets are $.13 each from MidwayUSA; and I needed something new to play with. I was able to buy two magazines, a 5 round and a 10 round, and dura-mag claims to have a 20 round mag in the works. It would make a great patrol rifle, with a proper magazine, as a 180 PP in 350 LEGEND has got to hit much harder than a 64 PP out of a 5.56.

After a couple of trips to the range, I was able to establish a 150 yard zero, hit 5" low at 200 yards, and hit a 12"W x 15"H steel gong near the center at 250 yards by holding over using the hashmarks on a Vortex Strike Eagle scope. I am liking it so far.
    Last edited by Little Creek; 10-25-19 at 15:22. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Sub’d. Really like what I have read about it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've heard the majority of comments as sort of an eye-rolling reaction but it seems to me like for its primary intended purpose -- as I understand it-- it makes lot of sense: hunting deer in straight-walled-cartridges-only states.

The fact that it's AR-able is a big bonus, maybe even genius.

When I first saw it and its name I figured the "Legend" part was an homage to the .351 Winchester SLR, which the Legend is way superior to in a few different ways.... but I have not heard anyone in the industry make that connection.

I am thinking about using some Legend brass to load for a Winchester 1905 in .35 SL, predecessor to the more powerful .351. It's not a perfect match but I think it will work. Winchesters for the .35 and .351` SLR were straight blowback so if the extractor doesn't get a perfect grab it should still work.

Feedback Score
    I heard there were some variations in chamber specs or twist rates from different barrel makers that might cause problems, is this true?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Combat Plastic View Post
    I heard there were some variations in chamber specs or twist rates from different barrel makers that might cause problems, is this true?
    All I have seen as far as twist rates is 1 in 16. As far a SAAMI specs for bullet diameter, I have heard .357-.003. So any bullet diameter from .354 to .357 should work. In my younger years, I saw an article in the American Rifleman about shooting 9mm bullets in .38 Spl. and .357 Magnum and vice versa. The essence of the article was you can shoot .357 bullets in a 9mm and .355 bullets in a 38/357 without worrying about accuracy or pressure. I have also been told by SAAMI members that SAAMI is all about safety. They establish chamber and cartirdge drawings and pressure limits. I know the pressure of the 350 LEGEND is higher than the 35,000 psi of the 9mm/.357 magnum.

I have seen adds for purpose built ammo and bullets especially for the 350 LEGEND from 145 up to 180 grains and all appear to be .355 and share a similar bullet profile that is different from the pistol/revolver bullets. This may be so the ammo including handloads will feed in AR-15 style rifles.

Feedback Score
    Is it true that some straight wall cartridge states won't allow it since it does use .355 diameter bullets instead of .357? I'd look at that if you intend on using it as a deer rifle. Fortunately for me, I don't live in one of those states so the above is hearsay.

Feedback Score
    The only reason I haven't is because I already have a 450. Otherwise I'd probably jump on it.

Feedback Score
    I like the idea of the 350 legend. From what I’ve read it’s hard hitting and has low recoil

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast