Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which buffer/spring would you suggest.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek33 View Post
    Follow up question - why are the a5 buffer systems so hard to find!? Everywhere is sold out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't know why everyone keeps saying that, it just take a little patience. There are a couple of threads on this subject.

Currently Midway has Vltor tubes on sale and they are in stock, Magpul also has tubes available. Forward Controls is a good source for buffers and Green springs, if out of springs Sprinco will have them. SOLGW is pretty good about having A5 stuff too.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I don't know why everyone keeps saying that, it just take a little patience. There are a couple of threads on this subject.

Currently Midway has Vltor tubes on sale and they are in stock, Magpul also has tubes available. Forward Controls is a good source for buffers and Green springs, if out of springs Sprinco will have them. SOLGW is pretty good about having A5 stuff too.
    You can also get a BCM kit from Primary arms - https://www.primaryarms.com/bravo-co...stem-for-ar-15

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Great advice here.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I suggest shooting it with whatever you have on hand, if you have another lower, or already have a buffer and spring. Then go from there, if you feel that it needs something different. Alternatively, you can buy an EZ Tune gas tube from BRT spec’d for whatever ammo, buffer, and spring you choose, and it’ll choke down the gas a bit. In which case, I would suggest setting it up for a regular carbine spring or Sprinco White and an H2. Or A5H0 with a regular rifle spring.

Do you already have a working lower / buffer?

Has this been test fired already?

Does recoil seem excessive?

Any ideas what size the gas port is?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek33 View Post
    I built an upper with a 13.7” Rainier Arms Rock Creek .223 Wylde Barrel. Carbine gas system and .750 gas block seat.

What buffer/ spring would you suggest to mitigate some of the recoil?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    I've got a 14.7" mid-gas. I'm using an H3.

Main reason I went to H3 was not recoil, but extractor was jumping the rim. H3 settled it right down, and smoothed out the 'thump' of the buffer hitting the back of the extension.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Sounds like a weak extractor spring with symptoms now masked by the heavy buffer.
    Probably worth looking at a replacement/upgrade extractor spring to eliminate any potential problems in the future.
    Think of it as cheap insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMarine View Post
    I've got a 14.7" mid-gas. I'm using an H3.

Main reason I went to H3 was not recoil, but extractor was jumping the rim. H3 settled it right down, and smoothed out the 'thump' of the buffer hitting the back of the extension.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    I did plus-up the extractor and add a o-ring at the same time I put in the H3.

She runs like a champ now.

The extractor seemed to be getting a good grip initially, it was practically ripping the rim off the case.

Here's a pic of the spent brass from the carbine standard buffer on the right, and the same upper using a rifle lower on the left. When I switched to the H3 in the carbine, the brass looked the same as the rifle lower brass on the left.

Here it is. And nobody needs to advise me that....."your gun sucks....and you're holding wrong"......grin

Last edited by MontanaMarine; 10-23-19 at 23:11.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not going to give anyone here any advice as my experience is too shallow other than to say read as much as possible and go with a proven performer. What I decided on to go with my Colt SOCOM 14.5 barrel was a Geissele super 42 spring with H2 buffer. Once I had about 500 rounds down range it cycled the Wolf steel case just fine. Even before that there were only two stoppages with Wolf. The gas rings on the Colt BCG seem very tight.

Feedback Score
    Hey MontanaMarine,
    It's cool you got it working for you but >I< have to wonder, IF it would have be much better to just Slowing down the Bolt speed/extraction by tuning down the gas flow via >BRT CustomTUNE Gas Ports<or an adjustable gasblock, as it seems to me it's Over Gassed to be Ripping off the Rim!

http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/

Peace Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMarine View Post
    I did plus-up the extractor and add a o-ring at the same time I put in the H3.

She runs like a champ now.

The extractor seemed to be getting a good grip initially, it was practically ripping the rim off the case.

Here's a pic of the spent brass from the carbine standard buffer on the right, and the same upper using a rifle lower on the left. When I switched to the H3 in the carbine, the brass looked the same as the rifle lower brass on the left.

Here it is. And nobody needs to advise me that....."your gun sucks....and you're holding wrong"......grin

The lessons that we learn are written the tomb stones of others. -Reid Henrichs

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVTMaverick View Post
    Hey MontanaMarine,
    It's cool you got it working for you but >I< have to wonder, IF it would have be much better to just Slowing down the Bolt speed/extraction by tuning down the gas flow via >BRT CustomTUNE Gas Ports<or an adjustable gasblock, as it seems to me it's Over Gassed to be Ripping off the Rim!

Peace Jeff
    I was thinking the same thing, but did not have a tactful way to say it.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RVTMaverick View Post
    Hey MontanaMarine,

Peace Jeff
    It's possible. I believe they port these things (this is a FN CHF barrel from PSA) for the lowest common denominator regarding ammo. I tend to shoot mostly Federal, PMC, Magtech, IMI....so on the warmer end of the spectrum. Then again, in our winter temps, a little extra gas is not a bad thing.

I try to keep things relatively simple, and plan to leave this as is, even if it's over-gassed somewhat. I've got it running relatively well-behaved.....grin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12