Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: America's first violent encounter with radical Islam

Feedback Score

America's first violent encounter with radical Islam

Oct. 23, 1983.

Guy second from the left was a year ahead of me in high school.

http://www.beirut-memorial.org/memor...ls-fluegel.jpg

I was in Infantry OSUT at Ft. Benning when that happened. Being in a controlled basic training environment we didn't get to see the nightly news. Didn't know about Stan until some time later. We weren't best buds or anything but I knew who he was and he seemed like a laid back kinda guy from what I recall. When I eventually heard his name I was like "I knew that dude."

You look at the faces. They've been dead for 36 years tomorrow. September 11, 2001 was round #2.

I will also add that Beirut shaped force protection measures from then on. You can bet your ass that the jihadis have been trying for the last 18 years to pull off another Beirut barracks-level event. It hasn't happened (thank God). It was a VERY hard-learned, costly lesson.

Hezbollah will always hold a dark place in my mind. (Islamic Jihad was a Hezbollah front group). Maybe that contributes significantly to why I f****g hate Iran to this day.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 10-22-19 at 19:10.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I was thinking the Barbary pirates in Libya....

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    R.O.E. will kill you.
    Every time I think about Beirut, it burns.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That was regular everyday islam...

Feedback Score
    Sorry if some were disappointed, but the Barbary pirates were small change compared to 1983. That was the single largest loss of Marines (might be Army too, I haven't checked) in one day since Iwo Jima. Hell, in one incident it eclipses U.S. losses for a LONG time (forget in one day).

Just wanted to give a nod towards some guys who've largely been long forgotten.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 10-22-19 at 20:20.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Me three

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was on Parris Island. IF I recall, it was on a Saturday night.
    Anyway...late Saturday night/Sunday morning, we were all in the rack sleeping.
    WAY before reveille.the DI's came screaming in, even unlike anything we had heard before, saying."you think this is a joke..this is a game..this is bullshit"? ect, ect.
    My Lord, they were PISSED. For the first time, they rolled in a small, very small tv with rabbit ears, cut it on, and filled us in on what had just happened.
    If I recall, some of them had friends there.
    Well, we were scared shitless, no doubt. As recruits..the "IM GONNA GET ME SOME" mentality was far from setting in yet.
    Those DI's were truly, to the core of their souls, filled with murder & hate & rage & anger, of course rightfully so.
    We knew then that shit was gonna hit the fan. Not withstanding what happened to the dead, wounded and all involved in the bombing of course, but they made it rough on us from then on to get us ready for what EVERYBODY thought was gonna be a sho' nuff war.
    About two years later, I served with a few guys that were there, had some tape recordings of some gunfights & stories about this & that.
    Those poor guys, many never knew what happened.
    Ive loathed those Islamic bastards ever since.
    THANK YOU brother ABNAK for the reminder.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 10-22-19 at 20:42.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yep that’s what I was expecting
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah Lebanon use to be a major resort destination for Europe and ME. Until the Islamists went on the war path. I believe the Marines were there just as “keepers of the peace” over watch. Trying to keep a lid on the inter faction fighting. Not allowed to have mags in their rifles on guard duty. As I remember Reagan pulled them out shortly afterward because it was either that or go full Monty invasion. Who knew how many more Islamic terror groups and nations we would be fighting the next 36 years? That was a truly dark day for some of America’s finest and for all of us.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast