Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AR suppressors?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Specifically, that it was designed more for 7.62x39 and .300 NATO rather than 7.62 NATO, and that the internal design works better with faster burning powder rounds.

As I recall, I checked recommends usage in Surefire’s site, to semi-verify that.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Here is my email to Surefire:

Hello,

I have been considering a Surefire suppressor purchase. I already have mounted several muzzle devices to allow movement between firearms.

It seemed like a good idea to purchase a 762 Mini, and use on both a 7.62 NATO and (primarily) multiple 5.56 weapons. I previously read anecdotal observations/recounts of conversations with Surefire reps that the 762 Mini was really not for use with 5.56 firearms. But I have also read (on forums) that the 762 Mini is just a 556-RC2 with a bigger hole.

What is the actual recommendation? Or perhaps phrased better, is it not a good idea to use the 762 Mini in a 5.56mm application?

Thank you,
    And here is Surefire Tech Support’s response:

Apologies for the misinformation. It is confirmed you can use any SOCOM762 suppressor on a 5.56 platform due to its larger bore diameter. Generally speaking, you can go down in caliber when mounting suppressors, but you do not want to go up. The other caveat is that the SOCOM762 not be optimized for 5.56 platforms and you can experience lesser decibel reduction. Hope this helps!

Thank you,
    That said, my previous anecdotal readings were not very positive about using the 762 Mini with 5.56, for the reasons stated a couple posts earlier. Clearly, it will function fine with 5.56, and I cannot provide any data to suggest it would not be a good match. So, I’ll say I spoke out of my lane a bit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123