Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best for 15-year-old -- single or double?

Feedback Score

Best for 15-year-old -- single or double?

Debating on what to get the youngster for range practice...decided on a revolver, but debating on which one.

Any thoughts on Rough Rider as a first pistol?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you can find a Ruger Bearcat that would be my choice.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAUSER88 View Post
    If you can find a Ruger Bearcat that would be my choice.
    Agreed, or a used Single Six.

Feedback Score
    If he's a total beginner, go with single action. If he's already familiar with guns and safety, go ahead with the double action so he can start building up the strength to use it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I was never a Blackhawk fan for decades.

But I have come around and think of 357 Blackhawk he is a very economical and solid first pistol.

You can shoot downloaded 38 special with virtually no recoil, but then as interest and strength increases shoot full House 357.

Excellent trigger, excellent customer service, just a solid all-around pistol.

My son was college-aged, so I found him a homely one in 41 mag for Christmas one year and it is a favorite at the shooting range. He has also taken quite a bit of large game with it.

Straight wall revolvers are also an excellent introduction to reloading.

As a kid I banged out hundreds of rounds of 38 / 357 with a Lee loader and dippers.

Feedback Score
    I say single/double.

Single action, and especially typical single-action loading, gets boring in a hurry.

Its good enough your starting him on a revolver.

Weak .38 should be okay for a 15 yo.
    .22 would be better and cheaper although their DA triggers are normally heavier.

A .327 mag or .32 mag would be the best but most expensive option. The .327 can shoot five cartridges, the .32 H&R mag four. Both often work fine with .32 acp, too.

Feedback Score
    Double action wheel gun will give the option of single action fire and double action trigger pull. Center fire is fine, but youngsters can enjoy a lifetime of cheap shooting with a .22 LR revolver. Just my two cents.

Be safe

Feedback Score
    I learned on a double action S&W in .22LR. Great gun
    Last edited by rvanno; 10-26-19 at 12:20.

Feedback Score
    What about a single action Ruger Wrangler? Great revolver to teach youngsters with a deliberate platform to “make each shot count.”I have been shooting mine for a couple of months and it’s a nice affordable .22 caliber handgun built with Ruger’s transfer bar safety that will not allow revolver to fire unless trigger is pulled from a single action mode. Three colors available!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have a Heritage Rough Rider that is a fun plinker for the whole family. The sights are terrible, though, and not good for giving instruction and teaching sight picture to a new shooter. If you want a revolver for a first gun it is hard to beat a S&W K-frame with a 4" barrel and adjustable sights.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast