Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Karl Sokol Hi Power Build

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Great pistol! Cool that you ran it in a class!
    Looking back on it I should have done it the other way around. I should have gone with the intent of using the HP as primary and only switching to the MR918 in case I had problems with the Browning. Oh, well...

Fun times, regardless!
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Check your PM.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    That is a great looking Hi-Power! I would argue still one of the most ergonomic 9mm pistols out there, even after all this time.
    "Adrenaline + tunnel vision + a little disbelief = that John Wayne moment" - Firefly

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Nice looking gun, enjoy your new blaster.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Looks great. I love the stippling. I had a couple 1911s done by Don Willians a few years back. I had him stipple a smooth MSH as I wasn’t sure I would like it. After getting it all back I wish I would have him do the front strap as well. Love the feel. This makes me want to send in one of my Hi Powers for the stippling and reblue.

Edit: Did you have the entire gun de-horned as well? It looks very nicely done. Nothing sharp but not bar-of-soap melted either.
    Last edited by Schmidtty; 10-30-19 at 20:17. Reason: Question.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmidtty View Post
    Looks great. I love the stippling. I had a couple 1911s done by Don Willians a few years back. I had him stipple a smooth MSH as I wasn’t sure I would like it. After getting it all back I wish I would have him do the front strap as well. Love the feel. This makes me want to send in one of my Hi Powers for the stippling and reblue.

Edit: Did you have the entire gun de-horned as well? It looks very nicely done. Nothing sharp but not bar-of-soap melted either.
    Thanks.

Yes. Part of Karl's Hi Power package includes a dehorn. Nothing drastic and it is really almost unnoticeable. One area I wish he would have done is the front sight. It is fairly sharp along its edges. It might have been nice to have it dehorned just behind the face. Maybe even make it very slightly "T" shaped. If that description makes sense.

Stippling doesn't look as clean as checkering. Done poorly it can look down terrible. But it does work pretty well for giving traction.

Few 'smiths will checker a Hi Power it seems. That's partly because the front strap on some guns is pretty thin. Also I'm told the complex curves of the frame can make checkering a real bugger.

Don Williams reblued a Hungarian gun for me awhile back and it came out very nice. I should have probably had him do a bit more work at that time.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 10-31-19 at 18:02.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious_ar15 View Post
    That is a great looking Hi-Power! I would argue still one of the most ergonomic 9mm pistols out there, even after all this time.
    It is rather amazing how good the Hi Power feels. Probably the CZ75 is about the only thing coming close.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you would like to give out the info., I'd like to ask total cost for work done. Not sure if $750 included your additions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    If you would like to give out the info., I'd like to ask total cost for work done. Not sure if $750 included your additions.
    BHP pkg....................750.00

additions

luster blue......................................................25.00
    gold bead front...............................................75.00
    custom extended thumb safety.......................65.00
    thumb safety mod for positive engagement....25.00
    repair cross thread of grip screw &
    glass bed grip for fit.........................................20.00
    replace broken FP stop...................................35.00
    sub...................................................................995.00
    SHI FEDEX.......................................................50.00
    sub..................................................................1045.00

Total into the gun is just a hair under $1500.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does the safety dig into your thumb? I find that the traditional ambi safety digs into the back of my thumb where the web is and really beats up that spot after a few mags

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast