Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Keymod going away?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by delta6 View Post
    I agree and most keymod handguards are general lower in cost than the mlok.
    That's because most people don't want keymod anymore, and retailers are doing their best to move inventory.

I don't think Keymod is "dead", and it works just fine for most people. I just don't see anything "new" coming out in big quantities like we saw a few years ago.

Feedback Score
    When I was assembling the last rifle I asked during a class for opinions on keymod vs mlok.
    The consensus was it is like vhs and beta, and mlok is vhs.
    Another guy said when looking at the rails do you want to see cocks or slots, I thought that was a good description.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    M-LOK might be more popular than KeyMod, but KeyMod will be around for a long time.

If my KeyMod handguard impacts something hard enough to dislodge my light or bipod, I've
    likely got much bigger problems than a missing accessory.

I don't change accessories often, but installing M-LOK components is a real PITA....every time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    M-LOK might be more popular than KeyMod, but KeyMod will be around for a long time.

If my KeyMod handguard impacts something hard enough to dislodge my light or bipod, I've
    likely got much bigger problems than a missing accessory.

I don't change accessories often, but installing M-LOK components is a real PITA....every time.
    This, MLOK is a real headache but if you put on accessories and leave them it is good and strong. If you tend to swap a lot I’d stick with key mod or even old style rails.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have both systems and I prefer Keymod. The only problem I've ever seen is when the accessory is improperly installed. That said, I haven't had any MLOK failures either. Full disclosure, on all of my systems (Keymod & MLOK) I have my bipods installed under 1913 rail sections rather than direct mount. Why? Because I don't trust single point of contact with either system. IMO when the load is distributed across a larger area (e.g. two or three connection points) I feel better about my s#it not popping off under load. And I heavily load my bipods...
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    I have my bipods installed under 1913 rail sections rather than direct mount. Why? Because I don't trust single point of contact with either system. IMO when the load is distributed across a larger area (e.g. two or three connection points) I feel better about my s#it not popping off under load. And I heavily load my bipods...
    I only run Keymod - mainly because I haven't bought a new rail system in the past two + years or so, but I've never had any failures running this rail system. I also follow the method mentioned above on the rifle I run with a bipod, it works and I've no complaints.

If i decided to buy or assemble a new rifle in the future, I'll look for Keymod rails simple because that's what I've been using and that's the system all my spare accessories use.

Feedback Score
    I think it will still hang around even though Mlok has gained speed. But really once you set a gun do you really change a whole lot? Seems like once I build one it stays in that configuration for the most part. By the time I need something different it just makes sense to make a new one.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    How are y’all having so much difficulty mounting MLok accessories? I find it just as easy as KeyMod, and just as quick, if the VibraTite is pre-applied.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    How are y’all having so much difficulty mounting MLok accessories? I find it just as easy as KeyMod, and just as quick, if the VibraTite is pre-applied.
    Yeah, scratching my head here as well.

Keymod is basically dead. If you have a rifle already setup with Keymod there's no reason to swap to MLOK, but going forward it's going to become more scarce. I noticed Aero is practically giving away their Keymod handguards right now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When you take the M-LOK mount out of the package and attempt to install it, the backing plate is in the correct position the first time? Maybe you have some special ability to perfectly adjust the backing plate position, or trick to always get it to engage against the rail, but I don't.

After the plate doesn't engage the rail the first time, I remove the mount, get a 2nd tool to hold the plate while I adjust the bolt, then try again. Nope, the backing plate still won't engage the rail, so I remove the mount, pick up the tools, and adjust the bolt again, and sometimes yet again. Yep, not at all as simple as putting a KeyMod mount in place and tightening a bolt.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast