Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Entry Level AK purchase advice.

Feedback Score

Entry Level AK purchase advice.

My son is currently deployed. When he returns to the states, he wants to pick up an entry level AK in 7.62x39. My research has led me to Palmetto state Armory, specifically their PSAK-47 GF3 FORGED "MOEKOV" RIFLE. For $639 ish I think that is a decent deal. but I am not an AK guy at all.

I have been told to stay away from Inter Ordnance and Century AK's.

Am I missing other quality rifles for a fair price?

TIA
    Better known as "The CAC"!

"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully."

By: Lt Col Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C., RIP

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not sure about PSA. US made AKs have never been good. Always cutting corners.

I'd just get a WASR. Romanian made, Century Imported.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’ll echo the comments above. Stay away from the US made guns. A WASR is probably the best factory ak that’s under $1000 right now readily available. Or look on armslist for a mak-90 or an older import.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I have to agree, it sounds like a WASR 10 could be what you're looking for, but make sure you do some additional research on it, and inspect the gun personally or buy from a trusted source to do a quality inspection for you. Pay particular attention to the magwell cutout and (canted) FSB. MrGunsngear has a great video on how to fully and properly inspect one. Quality control on the WASR's isn't the strongest, and although they're sturdy rifles, there are some lemons out there with them.

I also think you're looking at a good option with the Gen 3 MOEKOV. For under $650 I couldn't lay off of a OD Green version a few weeks ago, so now I own both. I love my WASR 10, but the fit and finish on the PSAK is top notch and the weapon is really clean. It's a nice rifle to handle, with good reviews, including a 5000 round torture test from AKOU, so check that video out if you haven't already. One defining feature difference between the two is the chrome lined barrel on the WASR vs. nitride on the PSAK. But on the other hand you get the nice MOE furniture with the PSAK vs. very plain wood with the WASR. I haven't shot my PSAK yet, but as I type this I'm thinking of substituting it into the rotation for my range trip tomorrow. My initial inspection, cleaning, and function check was in order, so hopefully it lives up to the hype of being the American made AK we've all been waiting for and so far I have no regrets on the purchase.

Anything you're likely to be looking at that's "better" than these two rifles would be in the $1200+ price range, so I think you're doing good with either choice. Why don't you pick up one for yourself, and the other for your kid?

Feedback Score
    delete
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 07-09-20 at 14:11.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockster35 View Post
    My son is currently deployed. When he returns to the states, he wants to pick up an entry level AK in 7.62x39. My research has led me to Palmetto state Armory, specifically their PSAK-47 GF3 FORGED "MOEKOV" RIFLE. For $639 ish I think that is a decent deal. but I am not an AK guy at all.

I have been told to stay away from Inter Ordnance and Century AK's.

Am I missing other quality rifles for a fair price?

TIA
    Mine's been solid to date FWIW...

Feedback Score
    I'd save another $100 and get a Mac-90. Rule of thumb; USA Ak bad, comblock AK good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Comblock

Feedback Score
    Personally, I'd stay away from PSA. They wouldn't allow me to return a very well out of spec AR10 lower even though it wouldn't mate up properly to their upper.

Regarding Century and Inter Ordnance, you want to stay away from their US made AK's. However, their imported AK's are generally good to go. I have several and they're all good to go.

You might start by asking him if he's wanting the classic AK look or if he wants something that he can trick out like an AR15.

Keep in mind that there are plenty of low round count AK's that are no longer imported. Egyptian, Hungarian and Chinese come to mind. They can often be had at good prices.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've got a PSA and it works fine. Fit and finish is better than most I've owned. I have owned quite a few AK's over the years. I still have a Type 56-2 BWest folder, a Norinco stamped type 56, a IGF Kyber Pass parts build, a Yugo M85 and the PSA GB2 blem. My PSA will hold it's own with all of them.

The benefit of the WASR is the chrome lined barrel. When I got my first WASR-10 they were considered sub standard. Now everyone swears by them if you don't want to spend the money for a SLR107. You definitely should inspect any WASR you are looking at. They are hit and miss. If you get the newest version of the PSA you will definitely see a noticeable difference in the finish from any WASR. Additionally I would rather deal with PSA than Century if I ever needed to contact customer service.

I would recommend looking through the Atlantic Firearms website to seem some different versions of AK's out there. Good luck with your choice. David

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast