Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Entry Level AK purchase advice.

Feedback Score
    OP,

My apologies for getting a little sidetracked. You're looking for a good low-cost AK. There are potential problems with all the options. AK costs have soared and the imports are cutting corners on things like the wood furniture to keep prices reasonable. US made AKs appear to be getting better, but I'm just not personally confident enough that they've got things nailed down to recommend them in good conscience. They've had a hell of a time in the recent past figuring out simple things like parts hardnesses.

In all honestly, there's no easy answer. Your best shot would likely be one of the WBP Polish AKs at around $1000, but they appear to be sold out everywhere right now. The next best thing is probably a WASR 10 at around $700, but the wood handguards and stock they come with now are cheap and will quickly wear out and/or break. Replacement laminate or polymer furniture can be had on Gunbroker or elsewhere on the internet for around $150 or so, so a WASR 10 and an additional $150 for furniture might be the way to go.

Feedback Score
    delete
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 07-09-20 at 14:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    Thing is though, the AK can't really be a free float barrel anyway. The piston/gas block interaction would wreck any harmonics the barrel might have gained if it were a higher end precision barrel. Finally, you are shooting primarily steel jacketed bulk ammo. So not sure if a precision barrel would even be worth it on AK unless you couldn't get an import rifle.
    Harmonics isn't something I wanted to touch on because it isn't well understood. There's very little scientific documentation on it pertinent to shooting precision. I think this is probably the best paper I've seen concerning harmonics. It seems to me a more scientifically sound explanation than the cartoonish "barrel whip" idea.

Personally, I completely ignore harmonics because I haven't found the notion to be relevant in any testing with any modern firearm that I've used or experimented with, with the exception of Mr. Long's explanation as it pertains to optimum barrel time and hand loading. You can make a sub MOA AK by just using a quality match barrel and "match" ammunition. In my experience, the only difference between a free floated barrel and a non free floated barrel is POI shift when applying too much pressure to a non free float handguard when resting against a barrier.

A better barrel is always better. Firearm dispersion is barrel imperfection + ammo imperfection + shooter error. Reducing imperfection in any one of those is beneficial.
    Last edited by Aries144; 11-04-19 at 13:08.

Feedback Score
    I don't know enough about US made Ak's to comment on them so my recommendation would be an older import. Say a MAK-90, SAR-1 or Hungarian model. Switch out the required parts for 922r and put the furniture of your preference on it. You could always look for an unconverted Saiga since they at one time could still be had for under $1000 and convert it to get the grip back in the right spot. You should end up 922r compliant in the conversion process. Then you would have a Russian AK100 series rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    You definitely should inspect any AK (or other firearm) you are looking at. They are hit and miss.
    Fixed that for you.

Any firearm being purchased should be inspected carefully. AKs, by the very nature of their design and manufacture, are prone to a series of flaws that create a large range of rifles, from those so canted and misaligned that they nearly shoot around corners, to ones that are laser straight.

When it comes to the key data points of AK purchases, a buyer needs to consider if the trunions (and bolt) are cast or forged (forged is better), trunion and sight alignment (colinear, non-canted), and the barrel metallurgy & manufacture (4150 CMV, chrome lined vs something else). The WASR hits all of these, and as long as you can hand pick one with trued up trunions and sights, you're golden.

Feedback Score
    delete
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 07-09-20 at 14:13.

Feedback Score

Entry Level AK purchase advice.

I am fairly new to the AK-47 and I bought a WASR-10. It shoot fairly well given the price too. I bought a Romanian surplus wood set and I refinished the wood furniture. I like darker finish better rather the than light wood finish on the original WASR-10 furniture.
    Last edited by Tony617; 11-06-19 at 23:12.

Feedback Score
    Stumbled upon this video from AK Operators Union and thought of this thread. Five AKs under $800. At least in Aug. 2019.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AvXYgqiT7Q

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 12:11.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ditto on the WASR
    Zastava O PAP
    Hungarian post ban AKM

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123