Thread: Fed. HST 130 gr. +P JHP

Feedback Score

Fed. HST 130 gr. +P JHP

Does anyone have any experience with Federal's HST .38 Special load. The flush loaded 130 gr. +P (looks like a wad-cutter) JHP. It looks good in gel, but I have see no street results yet. I may not be looking in the right places.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't think you will ever get results from actual shootings since no law enforcement agency that I am aware of is issuing short barreled .38 Special revolvers for which the round is designed. I carry them in my Ruger LCR. My own non-scientific Clear Gel tests resulted in 11-12 inches of penetration and perfect expansion from 10 feet. I can't find the bullets to measure but I seem to remember the expansion surprised me, at .70 of an inch or so. Whatever it was it had greater expansion than 9MM+P 124 Gold Dot from a Glock 19 and a Shield. The cartridges are a bit problematic to reload quickly from a speed loader so I usually keep Train and Defend JHP in the speedloader. Here is a pic from my Clear Gel test.

Attachment 59318

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Some large agency's were issuing S&W lightweight J frames as BUG's carried in ankle holsters not that long ago, I suspect some still do. I know about 4-5 years ago I picked up several thousand once fired nickle plated .38 cases from when they were doing their range quals.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Real Gel test posted by M4C Tokarev. Mirrors my ClearGel test.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-Tested-in-Gel
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 10-28-19 at 00:09.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    The cartridges are a bit problematic to reload quickly from a speed loader so I usually keep Train and Defend JHP in the speedloader. Here is a pic from my Clear Gel test.Attachment 59318
    Thanks for your reply and test data. I agree on the speed loader, I keep 135gr short bbl. Gold Dots in the speed strips.