Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixed Carry Handle ARs Now Considered As Vintage / Retro?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Fixed Carry Handle ARs Now Considered As Vintage / Retro?

Got the email about pruning inactive accounts / users, so I figured I'd post something.

Since the flattops seem to be the AR rage now, does that mean our fixed carry handle ARs, even as late as the M16A2 (and semi clones) now considered vintage / retro?

Comments welcome.

Feedback Score
    Got the same email, so also figured same. If they are vintage/retro, does that mean they soon be considered as antiques? Perhaps not needing an FFL? I guess one can dream, eh?
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    I got the same email. Just picked up a Colt 6520 from my FFL the other day. I'd say they're borderline collectibles now.

Feedback Score
    I think they are pretty much the definition of a retro AR. In a few more years, a flat top M4 with no accessories will be the “latest” in retro rifles.

Feedback Score
    Oh yeah. I'm a big fan of the lightweight barreled Colts. I have two 6520s, one of which has the m16 bcg (6.2 lbs). The other has the half moon cut bolt and is just a hair over 6lbs with a sling. One has a large-pin Geissele SSA, the other will soon. Retro Perfection™

My range rifle is an A4 lightweight (6720) with magpul and a 1x6 ACSS. 1.5 MOA all day with my reloads. You can trace the lineage of that rifle straight back to the 6520. 7.7 lbs with the optic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by buzz_knox View Post
    I think they are pretty much the definition of a retro AR. In a few more years, a flat top M4 with no accessories will be the “latest” in retro rifles.
    this^^^

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascally View Post
    Got the same email, so also figured same. If they are vintage/retro, does that mean they soon be considered as antiques? Perhaps not needing an FFL? I guess one can dream, eh?
    You can buy all the carry handle uppers you want right now without going through an FFL, the SN'd lower is another matter. To be considered an antique and exempt from ATF paper work requirements a firearm has to have been manufactured prior to 1898.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Within the past few years, A2 type ARs are pretty much considered "retro" by many. The earlier ARs considered to be "retro" used to be those with A1 type upper receivers (those with no forward assist, those with forward assist, and those with forward assist and brass deflector). Many of the early M16A2 series carbines (723 and 733) used A1 type upper receivers with forward assist and others that included the brass deflector (Brunton Bump). Later M16A2 carbines came with A2 type upper receivers. This would include models such as the 727 and the later variation of the 733. M16A2 rifles had A2 type upper receivers. No flat top ARs are considered retro, although some may consider some early models as being vintage, but the retro community does not consider them retro or vintage at this time. Here is an example of my retro ARs.

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    You can buy all the carry handle uppers you want right now without going through an FFL, the SN'd lower is another matter. To be considered an antique and exempt from ATF paper work requirements a firearm has to have been manufactured prior to 1898.
    glad I read through the whole thread. I was about to make this exact same comment.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In 1999 I bought a bushmaster M16A2 clone. That's what an AR was 20 years ago. It's still my go to AR even though I bought a 6920 last year.

When I pull it out at the range, people think it's totally retro. The M4 crowd wants to shoot it.20190417_235008.jpg
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 10-26-19 at 22:44.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast