Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 24 of 24

Thread: Pin and Weld drill depth - potential problem?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    454
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    So.....

    I take it we are in agreement that he doesn't have to worry about his near miss with the hole?

    Besides, even if he drilled all the way through, he'd just have an extra gas port to nowhere....
    The first part, yes. The second part...…. meh.

    Larger ports display accelerated port erosion and induce an anomaly in the bore rather close to the muzzle.

    Now I don't know exactly how it will affect bullet flight or how quickly it could erode a track that actually breaches the crown, but I suspect effective barrel life would be significantly shorter before abnormal accuracy issues present.

    Hence why I had my muzzle counter bored the muzzle of the barrel that the smith screwed up.

    Better safe than sorry.
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    880
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyM4 View Post
    The first part, yes. The second part...…. meh.

    Larger ports display accelerated port erosion and induce an anomaly in the bore rather close to the muzzle.

    Now I don't know exactly how it will affect bullet flight or how quickly it could erode a track that actually breaches the crown, but I suspect effective barrel life would be significantly shorter before abnormal accuracy issues present.

    Hence why I had my muzzle counter bored the muzzle of the barrel that the smith screwed up.

    Better safe than sorry.
    Gas ports erode due to flow, if the hole is a dead end, there is no flow.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    454
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Gas ports erode due to flow, if the hole is a dead end, there is no flow.
    And I would hold that the hole in effect turns into an expansion chamber and the expanding gas is then forced back into the original bore size causing turbulence flow that will still gas cut the steel on the trailing edge of the hole, especially since chrome has been removed. Friction, heat, thermal expansion, etc. will also factor into the speed of progression.

    One simply has to observe the erosion on suppressor baffles to understand that even that far from the chamber, pressures and temperatures are still quite high enough to cause significant erosion over a relatively short amount of time and those items are not even in contact with the passing bullet. A quick study of blast baffles shows very visible erosion after only 500 to 1000 rounds.

    Almost sounds like an interesting subject to do some testing on to get some empirical data.
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    880
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyM4 View Post
    And I would hold that the hole in effect turns into an expansion chamber and the expanding gas is then forced back into the original bore size causing turbulence flow that will still gas cut the steel on the trailing edge of the hole, especially since chrome has been removed. Friction, heat, thermal expansion, etc. will also factor into the speed of progression.

    One simply has to observe the erosion on suppressor baffles to understand that even that far from the chamber, pressures and temperatures are still quite high enough to cause significant erosion over a relatively short amount of time and those items are not even in contact with the passing bullet. A quick study of blast baffles shows very visible erosion after only 500 to 1000 rounds.

    Almost sounds like an interesting subject to do some testing on to get some empirical data.
    Flow through a suppressor is about 1000 times higher than what would flow in and then out of a hole .125" in diameter and at most .125" deep.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •