Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build items for 308 AR

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Build items for 308 AR

This is new to me. I’ve been interested in a couple factory rifles (Savage MSR generally, M&P10’s ambi controls) but not enough to purchase one. So looking to start accumulating parts for a modern “battle rifle” build that is capable of reaching out to touch something at long range if put to it. I do particularly want this to be FDE, the only rifle non-black that I will own currently. The only parts I have currently are the handguard, BCG, and trigger.

What am I missing, any concerns with the below?

Aero Precision M5 receivers - Purchased BF, went with black just for the price
    Aero Precision M5 LPK - Purchased BF
    No-Name chrome BCG from peacegeek (worth the risk to try it for $128) - Not wisest choice, but going to try it since I purchased prior to asking
    Brownell’s BRN-10 20” lightweight barrel with FSB (will cut down FSB) - Purchased BF
    Troy 15” carbon fiber handguard, FDE - purchased at same time as BCG
    LaRue MBT-2S - Have on hand
    LMT MWS Buffer Kit - Purchased BF

Questions I have would involve receiver extensions/buffers, LPK, etc. I have a Blaster Pack from SOLGW...will this work with 308 receivers? I believe I read that the width of the receiver can cause a problem at times... What parts does this affect? And the receiver extension... Magpul has one specifically for the SR-25, right? What buffer would be appropriate to use with this?

I’m in no rush, and would plan to make purchases around Black Friday.

Open to any and all input, this is all new to me. Mostly a project to add a 308 to the stash.
    Last edited by JediGuy; 12-02-19 at 10:05.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'd buy an Aero phosphated BCG for $170 (found 2 at this price in less than a minute) before any unknown NiB carrier. I've
    got one of their Nitride BCGs and a Noveske one, both in Aero uppers. I swapped the Noveske's single gas ring setup for
    standard 3 piece rings. I paid around $180 for each of them on sale.

The easy solution for the lower parts kit is to use Aero's kit. It's got everything that's needed, and nothing that won't
    work, like the take-down and pivot pins, in the SOLGW Blaster Guts. The Aero lower uses a threaded pin for the bolt
    catch, so a standard one from SOLGW probably won't work.

Any AR-15 carbine, A5, or rifle length receiver extension will work. Both of my 308 lowers currently have A5s so I can
    use standard carbine buffers. I've used all three extensions over the last 10 years, with appropriate buffers, without
    any issues.

Magpul's SR-25 receiver extension is probably A5 in length, so AR-15 buffers would be used (if my guess is correct).

Feedback Score
    Well your BCG and barrel have to match.

So know which style they are and what you want.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    Dont know if you seen this or not.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Not sure if this is going to work, trying to do from phone.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 223to45; 10-26-19 at 20:43.
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just searched for the Brownells barrel assemblies. They offer assemblies without pinned FSBs? I didn't see any, but there are
    certainly ways to use one of them with a 15" FF handguard, but I see little reason to do it.

Their product page states DPMS pattern, so at least that's easy to match.

I also went to peacegeek. I personally wouldn't trust their hardware without additional info.....not at all worth the risk to save $40.
    Last edited by grizzman; 10-26-19 at 20:42.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Thanks for the insight so far. Particularly, the LPK suggestion, which I will be following.

I should have mentioned my “goal” better for the rifle. I would like to keep it as light as possible (versus requiring repeatable tight groups at longer range), with as close to a pencil profile barrel as I can find. I’ve read good things about the Brownells BRN-10, and have no problem switching to a low profile gas block or shaving the FSB if I can’t find a lighter barrel. I was leaning toward either an 18 or 20” barrel.

Is there another barrel that gets close to the weight? I have stayed away from Faxon in 5.56 because it seemed that they were heavily gassed.

I’ve bought several items from peacegeek, and though the communication was atrocious the one time I reached out for assistance with a suppressor purchase, everything I’ve received has been good quality and as described. I’m not trying to justify a cheap purchase; but... I’ll admit that the low price drew me in this time. It’s one of those situations where I’m willing to take the risk at that price. Either I get a great deal, or I’m out some cash.

Feedback Score
    Brownells nitride AR-308 BCG avail for $142.99, subtract $10 off of that with MDX promo code, with free shipping (unless you have one of the one-day-only 10%-off free-ship promo codes). It's the HP version with the skinnier firing pin, suitable for 6.5C also (that's a good thing). I've got it in a couple of builds, works like it's supposed to, headspaced just fine.

https://www.brownells.com/308ar-bolt-carrier-group-nitride-mpi

I would NOT go with a no-name NIB BCG. there's some fine details on doing the NIB coating, and I wouldn't trust a no-name to have mastered those nuances, even if they're buying them from some other company, you don't know if they're the rejects.
    Last edited by rpoL98; 10-29-19 at 19:58.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Large-frame AR rifles are not as “plug and play” as small-frame ARs. I strongly suggest buying a factory rifle to save yourself headache. I’d even pick up a PSA before cheaping out parts on a large-frame AR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Never cheap out on barrels or bcg’s...never. Spend the coin for at least a decent barrel and pay what’s needed for a top of the line BCG. LMT is where I’d look for a bcg.
    Last edited by Jsp10477; 10-31-19 at 21:39.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Lots of good info and discussion in this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...veske-AR-Build
    Open the pig!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast