Thread: My first serious build

Feedback Score

My first serious build

I’ve built a number of ar-15’s of various types and brands over the years. This is the first real attempt at building something more serious so I thought I’d see what everyone thought. My goal was to try to get pretty close to a issue m4 or at least a good homage to one. So here we go:

Lower:
    1. BCI Defense “M16 cut” low shelf lower receiver $105
    2. Geissele Super Tricon fcg $240
    3. Geissele Ambidextrous safety selector $40
    4. Colt receiver extension 4 position with Colt end plate and castle nut $50
    5. Colt fiberlite waffle stock $30 and then replaced with JE socom.
    6. JE Machine Socom Stock $45
    7. Colt buffer spring $20
    8. Colt buffer H $35
    9. Colt lower part kit including pistol grip, replaced with Magpul I had laying around, minus fcg $55
    I Properly torqued and staked castle nut.
    Total: $620

Upper:
    1. Colt factory assembled barreled upper assembly (6920) $365
    2. Colt factory M16-bcg plus Colt factory cage code charging handle $125
    3. Sig Sauer Romeo5 red dot scope $130
    4. Sig Sauer Juliet 3 $265
    5. KAC tactical rail $125
    6. KAC covers $60
    7. Colt factory side sling $55
    8. Matech military backup site $35
    9. KAC military fore grip $20
    10. Streamlight ProTac HL-X Rifle Rail Mount Dedicated Fix Mount 1000 Lumen LED Light $100
    11. Vickers padded sling with poly hardware $50
    Total: $1330
    Rifle total: $620+$1330=$1950
    5 colt factory 30 round Magazines $100

Total $2050

Total With a carry case and half case of 500 round Federal 62 grain green tip : about $2200

I deviated from my original plans only on the JE machine sopmod stock, figured I’d give it a try due to costing less than a B5 stock and the Magpul grip is just more comfortable to me than the regular A2 grip and the Sig Sauer Romeo Juliet combo until I decide whether to go EOTech or Trijicon. Also, I went with a streamlight instead of a surefire.

This cloning/homage business gets expensive, lol. What does everyone think of it so far?F605EA16-AEC0-4A0D-B7DA-18878BA390EB.jpg
    Last edited by M4COLTFAN; 10-28-19 at 01:47.

Feedback Score
    Hey M4COLTFAN,
    I Wish you had a bigger picture uploaded but from what I have read here and see, it appears that you have assembled a very SOLID M4!
    How's she shoot?

Peace
    The lessons that we learn are written the tomb stones of others. -Reid Henrichs

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply. I tried to figure out how to load a high resolution picture but couldn’t figure out how to do it. I’ll get a better picture upload If I can.
    As far as how she shoots, I was able to get the backup sights pretty close and the red dot/magnifier combo really close as well. I had it beginning to group well and ran out of daylight at the range that day, but looking forward to breaking it in soon and see what ammo she likes best. I’ll upload a target when I get it done. So far though, looking good and not a single misfire or feed problem at all.

Feedback Score
    Double post
    Last edited by M4COLTFAN; 11-22-19 at 06:23. Reason: Double post

Feedback Score
    YO, Special Computer Picture Guru Types of know how here, I'm asking for M4COLTFAN, Can You HELP to get a better/Bigger picture here?

TIA
    The lessons that we learn are written the tomb stones of others. -Reid Henrichs

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I want to know what you think of the trigger. How does it compare to the SSA and SSA E ,or S3G etc... Always been curious and you're the first person who I've seen use one. I'm sure it's a fine switch though, it's a G.
    Nice build and yes, better pics would be a plus. Cloning a mil gun of any sort is pricey. I tried one and was done, it's a nice one but wow, I didnt even go full bore clone, couldn't afford it. Yours sounds nice.
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

BCM 16" RECCE MK2 DkBrz, Custom Mk12 Mod1 built by Monty LeClair, 16" Middy w/ HCS RECCE barrel, A5, Young NM BCG, SSP, Geissele NM rail, Ops Inc., Super CH. 14.5" middy Noveske Afghan X3, 10.3" pistol DD barrell, Benelli M4, Ruger 10/22 w/Victor stock, GLOCK 17 Gen 4, Dan Wesson Valor Duty Coat, Dan Wesson Valor Blue, Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm, S&W 27 4"

B Co 4th502nd Inf Reg. '86-'90. 11b
    B Co 3rd187th InfReg. '90-'94. 11b
    Iron Rakkasans

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I can’t speak for M4ColtFan, but I used a Super Tricon very briefly and really started to like it. The pull weight is supposed to be the same as the SSA, which I really like, but it did have a little different feel. Just dry fire for me so far, I’ll get some rounds with it at some point.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    It has a great trigger pull, it has about a 2 lb take up and 2 lb crisp break, with no creep, and I like the shape of the trigger how it starts like a normal trigger and then goes flat and the grooves help prevent your finger from slipping. If you pull the trigger faster it feels almost like a single stage with a crisp break and for precision shots just use the 2 stage function. I highly recommend. Only drawback is the price and you can catch them on sale at palmetto or other places sometimes for about $200.