Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FFP training rifle scopes?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

FFP training rifle scopes?

I work in the hunting industry out west and have only bowhunted until two years ago when my wife started rifle hunting. We are both very proficient with firearms from pistols to patrol rifles (prior careers) to our hunting bolt actions. Our current elk rifles have Leupold CDS vx3is and are adequate to the limitations we have imposed on ourselves for shooting at elk (7-08@300yds 30-06@500yds). All of that adds up to zero experience "dialing".

We are enjoying our time spent shooting longer distances. We have realized the benefits of learning a system, MRAD seems to be it, and how much more versatility that knowledge would bring over a one and done CDS.

I would like to find out what others have experienced for reliable FFP scopes that are pretty basic? I am hoping $1000 or less can acquire a scope that can track, retain zero, and repeat everything reliably is possible. Those are my only real needs; I don't care about illumination, fancy reticles, "great glass", etc. The Nikon FX1000 4-16 SEEMS perfectly basic for what I want, but I only have experience with their rangefinders, and am unsure of what else is out there.

This would either go on a dedicated .223 bolt gun like a Tikka or Weatherby Vanguard or Ruger American, or get setup on one of our patrol rifles. It would be used to learn the system on the cheaper to fire rifles, and then after competence, additional scopes bought and put on our current or new elk guns.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    You might want to look into the SWFA scopes. Great everything at a good price. Primary Arms are pretty decent too and affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I always went with trying to get the best glass you can afford- even save and wait another year to get what you want. You don't need fancy but glass quality is #1 followed by warranty for me if it's a scope you will be using regularly especially for hunting and precision shooting.

I would even try to find a higher end gently used scope at your budget before settling on something lesser quality but new.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SilentRecon; 10-27-19 at 11:29.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    SWFA seem popular for training rifles. I've used Bushnell LRTS in the past and currently use Nightforce SHV F1's (reticle preference). All have held zero and adjustment reliability thus far and can be found on the used market for under 1k.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Bushnell has had some pretty good sales on blem scopes recently, and just lowered the MAP on most of their Elite Tactical scopes. Here's an LRTS 4.5-18 non-illum for $999:

https://www.bushnell.com/products/ri...pes-4-5-18x44/

As far as SWFA, they occasionally have sales where the HD 5-20 can be had for under $1000 off of their sample list (and still carries the lifetime warranty). Their non-HD scopes are also solid no-frills entry level FFP options, and are always available on the sample list.

Another option: If you're in the outdoors industry you can probably get set up with an ExpertVoice account and have access to deals from brands like Vortex that will stretch your dollar even further.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You might take a look at PA Gold Series.

https://www.primaryarms.com/MCategor...cs-Gold-Series

Their silver series are frequently mentioned as decent practice rifles for long range shooting. I have one of the .223 HUD silver 4-14 models to see if I would like FFP and am still undecided about FFP, more so below about 8x.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 10-27-19 at 14:27.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Vortex PST checks your boxes.
    Have a 2-10X on a 7 WSM and the scope is repeatable with my come ups.

Also a fan of MIL reticle, just be sure you get a MIL/MIL scope.
    There are MIL reticle scopes out there that use MOA adjustments for windage/elevation.
    THAT is a blowjob.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I would 2nd the Nightforce SHV 4-14F1.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Perfect, thank you guys.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    There are some really great prices on FFP Bushell Elite scopes over at Cameraland right now:

https://cameralandny.com/shop?query=bushnell

LRTS for under $700, and open box DMR II scopes for around $1000
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 10-27-19 at 19:00.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast