Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new to this forum and newbie question! (what ammo for LE6920)

Feedback Score

new to this forum and newbie question! (what ammo for LE6920)

I joined the Military in 1980 and spent 8 years as a Military cop and we were issued the old M-16 probably hand me downs from the Vietnam War! Any way I'm an ole goat now and finally got me a Colt LE6920 Socom with the 16" barrel and KAC rail! Believe it or not I haven't fired an AR since the 80's! I want to take it to the range or friends land and practice but want to know what a good brand of ammo to get for practicing!n I do have a ammo box with FEDERAL AMMUNITION
    green tip XM855 5.56 62gr, but thats for home defense lol!

If you don't mind recommending a few good quality ammo suggestions for practice I'de appreciate it!

Feedback Score
    That’s a terrible home defense round. Use the green tip to practice till it’s gone. Then switch to an M193 clone for practice.

Buy a round dedicated for home defense. I’d consider Gold Dot or even TAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Wolf Gold 55 gr. FMJ for range use to a couple hundred yds.

PMC X-TAC 5.56 55 gr. is supposedly a m193 clone, I have shot it to 400 yds with ranging reticles designed for m193 and it was close to the 300/400 yd. ticks.

Both are reasonably priced if bought in case lots.
    Try SGAmmo, they're consistently one of the cheapest.

And yes on the m855 sucking for home defense.......

Feedback Score
    i like the AE223 bulk boxes of 1000 rounds

Feedback Score
    depending on your local range, M855 might not be welcomed there, as it can be hard on backstops. M193, being a more conventional FMJ design and non-magnetic may be more welcomed.

For HD/SD there are MANY better choices than the 193/855 mil-spec stuff.You are not in the Army and subject to their ammo restrictions, find an expanding projectile that your rifle likes and your wallet will tolerate. Speer Gold dot/Hornady TAP/Federal Fusion, round out my short list recommendations.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the great response and good info!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    To say that M855 sucks for home defense isn't giving the full story. M855 sucks at everything.

Any OTM or Bonded bullet is going to be a good defensive option. The heavier the better for me. I like 77 gr OTMs a lot.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    To say that M855 sucks for home defense isn't giving the full story. M855 sucks at everything.

Any OTM or Bonded bullet is going to be a good defensive option. The heavier the better for me. I like 77 gr OTMs a lot.
    dumb question, what is OTM and you best brand?

also Should I just keep the case of 400 Federal green tip, for extra ammo then, I doubt any range in San Antonio are will let me use it!

thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriotne12 View Post
    dumb question, what is OTM and you best brand?
    OTM - open tip match

I will take a different stance than the other person, and I do not believe OTM is the best design for short distance personal/home defense. OTM has some consistency of performance problems, which we generally don't find in the ammunition that is specifically marketed to deer hunting/personal defense.

When you find the OTM rounds compared against other ammo, it is usually the m193/xm855. Rarely do you see it compared against the bonded/expanding defense rounds.

There is a person you can find on some of the forums DocGKR, who probably has more ar-15 balistics/wounding than most people here, and he has said numerous times, that the OTM is a much better choice for the military who are prohibited from using expanding ammo. But of you are a civilian, or a LE officer and can use expanding ammo, then there are better choices available than the OTM offerings.

Should I just keep the case of 400 Federal green tip, for extra ammo then, I doubt any range in San Antonio are will let me use it!
    I wouldn't just throw it away But expect that you may have to search a bit to find a place that will let you use it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Wolf Gold 55 gr. FMJ for range use to a couple hundred yds.

PMC X-TAC 5.56 55 gr. is supposedly a m193 clone, I have shot it to 400 yds with ranging reticles designed for m193 and it was close to the 300/400 yd. ticks.

Both are reasonably priced if bought in case lots.
    Try SGAmmo, they're consistently one of the cheapest.

And yes on the m855 sucking for home defense.......
    Another vote for SGAmmo as well.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast